July 1 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
This is from Charles Spurgeons Faiths Checkbook.

July 1

God with Us
"God shall be with you"
(Genesis 48:21).

Good old Jacob could no more be with Joseph, for his hour had come to die: but he left his son without anxiety, for he said with confidence, "God shall be with you." When our dearest relations or our most helpful friends are called home by death, we must console ourselves with the reflection that the LORD is not departed from us but lives for us and abides with us forever.

If God be with us, we are in ennobling company, even though we are poor and despised. If God be with us, we have all-sufficient strength, for nothing can be too hard for the LORD. If God be with us, we are always safe, for none can harm those who walk under His shadow. Oh, what a joy we have here! Not only is God with us, but He will be with us. With us as individuals; with us as families; with us as churches. Is not the very name of Jesus, Immanuel -- God with us? Is not this the best of all, that God is with us? Let us be bravely diligent and joyously hopeful. Our cause must prosper, the truth must win, for the LORD is with those who are with Him. All this day may this sweet word be enjoyed by every believer who turns to "Faith's Check Book." No greater happiness is possible.

Blade,
Thanks for posting this devotional. Its an encouragment and definitely something worth pondering during the day.

Along the same lines, Jesus said:

Mat 28:20 ... and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

No wonder he also said:

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and [b:36f2ed6086]the gates of hell shall not prevail against it[/b:36f2ed6086].

Bob

I was surprised to realize a few years ago that realizing the presence of Christ is what keeps us from disobeying command not to covet: we are to be content with such things as we have, because He is with us. It shouldn't surprise me, considering that Christ is our portion, and that we couldn't possibly have a better one-- but I had never made the connection before.

[quote:598fb37d8e]
Is not this the best of all, that God is with us?
[/quote:598fb37d8e]

That reminds me of John Wesley's dying words, according to J. C. Ryle: "The best of all is, God is with us!"

bob,
Im glad to know the devotional is helping you. It is very reassuring to know that God will be with us always.

blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back