Jude 14, 15: De Moor on the Prophecy of Enoch (against ante-Mosaic written Rev.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Junior
From De Moor's Continuous Commentary on Marckius' Compendium of Theology:

For in vain on behalf of an ante-Mosaic, ἐγγράφῳ/written, Word is objected,

α. The Prophecy of Enoch mentioned by Jude in verses 14 and 15, προεφήτευσε δὲ καὶ τούτοις ἕβδομος ἀπὸ Ἀδὰμ Ἐνώχ, λέγων, Ἰδού, ἦλθε Κύριος, etc., and Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh, etc. For it is not necessary that these things be sought, 1. either from The Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs, cited by Origen and Procopius, and published by JOHN ERNEST GRABE in his Spicilegium Patrum, Century I, in which many prophecies of Enoch are inserted, and also things somewhat similar to what is mentioned by Jude, yet not altogether the same. But, that the author of this book was in fact a Jew, tinged with elements of the Christian faith, CAVE and DODWELL suppose, referring the writing of the book to the second Century of Christianity. 2. Neither with great right is recourse to be had to the book that is called Ἀποκάλυψις Ἐνὼχ, The Apocalypse of Enoch, which, according to GROTIUS on this passage, is cited by Irenæus, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, and Tertullian, to which book the Jews in the Zohar bestowed almost the same confidence; and a great part of it SCALIGER gave in Greek out of George Syncellus in his ad Eusebium notis, which Greek KIRCHER rendered into Latin in his Oedipo Ægyptiaco: see SCALIGER’S Notas in Græca Eusebii, pages 404, 405. But concerning its argument SCALIGER, in his Notis in Græca Eusebii, page 405b, says that he does not know whether the Jews have more leisure, that they would fabricate these things, or more patience, that they would write them. For there are so many things in them, says he, that disgust, weary, and shame, that, unless I had known that it belongs to the Jews to lie, and that now they are not able to leave off those trifles, I would have thought them to be not even worthy of reading. But nevertheless, which is strange, the same SCALIGER, in his Notis in Græca Eusebii, pages 404a, 405b, twice asserts that the passage, which in the Epistle of Jude is produced out of the work of Enoch concerning the angelic prevaricators, was taken out of this fragment. 3. With difficulty indeed would I believe with COCCEIUS that Jude gathered this from Moses’ history alone, that Enoch as Prophet had the argument of the prophecies, and by conjecture attributed such words to Enoch as might well agree with him and with the time in which he lived: for when Enoch is said to have prophesied λέγων/saying, it indubitably follows that the words next mentiond are the very words of that Prophet. 4. Therefore, I would rather say that certainly from Jude it is evident that Enoch προεφήτευσε—λέγων, prophesied…saying; but not that Enoch wrote down this prophecy. Therefore, this prophecy, delivered orally by Enoch, the Apostle would have had from the tradition of his ancestors, which nevertheless at a later time was able to be written down by others, and concerning the truth of which by the Spirit of God he would have been rendered quite certain; compare 2 Timothy 3:8: see HOTTINGER’S Thesaurum Philologicum, book I, chapter II, section II, pages 82-88; our AUTHOR’S Expectationem Gloriæ futuræ Jesu Christi, book I, chapter XXIII, § 6; WESSELIUS’ Fasciculum Dissertationum, etc., Dissertation XIII, which is on Hebrews 12:18-21, § 12, pages 426, 427.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back