Joseph Caryl... Job and Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
I do facebook. I actually have reconnected with a lot of my high school buddies on it. But one thing that I am getting out of it is that some lady over in England is taking tidbits and gleanings from a voluminous work on the book of Job by the Puritan Westminster Divine Joseph Caryl.

If anyone ever wanted to contribute to my library I would definitely not look down on this gift. Practical Observations on the Book of Job I am going to start penny pinching to buy this set. Job is my favorite book in the Old Testament. That book has consoled me even more than the Psalms.

Anyways for those of you who do the facebook thing, here is the link to the Joseph Caryl page. Job Through the Eyes of Joseph Caryl Become a fan of Joseph Caryl. You will be blessed.

Be Encouraged guys.

I have recently purchased a set of Caryl's work on Job. I am still in the first volume. It is well worth the money.

Joseph Caryl on Job is the very best commentary on Job, bar none. And, so commenting (he is a Puritan, after all), he winds up commenting on almost all the rest of Scripture as well. The new publication includes a Scripture index, and thus the set may also be used as a commentary on the whole Bible. I am in the middle of volume 2, and it is exquisite, not to mention too short. It doesn't feel long at all, an amazing accomplishment for what is probably the largest commentary ever written on a single book.

Joseph Caryl on Job is the very best commentary on Job, bar none. And, so commenting (he is a Puritan, after all), he winds up commenting on almost all the rest of Scripture as well. The new publication includes a Scripture index, and thus the set may also be used as a commentary on the whole Bible. I am in the middle of volume 2, and it is exquisite, not to mention too short. It doesn't feel long at all, an amazing accomplishment for what is probably the largest commentary ever written on a single book.

Lane -

The most recent printing is still a facsimile of an old (early 19th?) printing, is it not? (given that I have all Calvin's sermons that BoT put out in a facsimile, it's no barrier... but I'm curious nevertheless before I drop the $200 on it.)

Todd

Lane -

The most recent printing is still a facsimile of an old (early 19th?) printing, is it not? (given that I have all Calvin's sermons that BoT put out in a facsimile, it's no barrier... but I'm curious nevertheless before I drop the $200 on it.)

Todd

It is a fascimile of the original edition, Todd. Elizabethan spelling and everything. However, as fascimiles go, it is much easier than Calvin's sermons on Job, for instance, since the printing is larger, and there are fewer abbreviations. It doesn't take too long before you're reading it at the same pace as you would read any Puritan.

Lane -

Todd

It is a fascimile of the original edition, Todd. Elizabethan spelling and everything. However, as fascimiles go, it is much easier than Calvin's sermons on Job, for instance, since the printing is larger, and there are fewer abbreviations. It doesn't take too long before you're reading it at the same pace as you would read any Puritan.

Sure - the spelling isn't a problem, as I've been reading Calvin's Job and Deuteronomy sermons for some time without a hitch. If the print is bigger than the Job, all the better! :)

I have the set, and I think it's great!

But... it would certainly be nice if someone would undertake the job of retypesetting this massive work and making it more accessable...

It's been hundreds of years since this was first published, you'd think if someone started the job a couple hundred years ago it would be close to finished by now... :book2:

I do facebook. I actually have reconnected with a lot of my high school buddies on it. But one thing that I am getting out of it is that some lady over in England is taking tidbits and gleanings from a voluminous work on the book of Job by the Puritan Westminster Divine Joseph Caryl.

If anyone ever wanted to contribute to my library I would definitely not look down on this gift. Practical Observations on the Book of Job I am going to start penny pinching to buy this set. Job is my favorite book in the Old Testament. That book has consoled me even more than the Psalms.

Anyways for those of you who do the facebook thing, here is the link to the Joseph Caryl page. Job Through the Eyes of Joseph Caryl Become a fan of Joseph Caryl. You will be blessed.

Be Encouraged guys.

Yes, I have also become a fan of Joseph Caryl on Facebook. I find these postings very beneficial, and have enjoyed them immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back