Joseph accepts being sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
When Harrismen were sold by their clan chief they escaped in Ireland and made their way back to the Isle of Harris. If you have been sold into indentured servitude then there is a "contract". But surely in Josephs case he was free to escape?

Interesting question. He was 'sold' into slavery. Theoretically, would escape be a breach of the 8th Commandment? Could he have manumitted himself?

People cannot be bought or sold against their will. You are ALWAYS free to escape in this case. Manstealers will be judged, and people cannot be property.

People cannot be bought or sold against their will.

Tell that to the American slaves in the 19th century, and especially to the original slaves who were sold and dragged across an ocean to North America. And it still happens today, in various parts of the world.

Tell that to the American slaves in the 19th century, and especially to the original slaves who were sold and dragged across an ocean to North America. And it still happens today, in various parts of the world.
He was speaking in the context of God's law. He also answered this sin. "Manstealers will be judged, and people cannot be property."

Exodus 21:16:
“Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

People CAN do a lot of things; I meant people SHOULD NOT do certain things. An immoral oath or contract need not be followed, especially if you are obligated to something immoral without your consent. I just heard from a friend in Thailand about "child-buyers" who engage destitute parents and give them cash for the service of their child, often female, who often end up trafficked. We have no obligation to respect such a contract but to punish and even kill those who do such things if they resist us in freeing these children.

In wonder if the distance (Egypt) was a discouragement to flight? Joseph himself recognised a tie to the family land and deliberately set about displacing the Egyptians who sold themselves to Pharoh breaking their connection to the land. (Gen 47:21)

Last edited:
Maybe he felt that he wasn't wanted in the land anymore? (He had good reason.) Also, Egypt fit his skill set.

I very much doubt one man travelling alone, and likely wearing some marker of his status (such as a hole in his ear), would be able to get very far.

People CAN do a lot of things; I meant people SHOULD NOT do certain things. An immoral oath or contract need not be followed, especially if you are obligated to something immoral without your consent. I just heard from a friend in Thailand about "child-buyers" who engage destitute parents and give them cash for the service of their child, often female, who often end up trafficked. We have no obligation to respect such a contract but to punish and even kill those who do such things if they resist us in freeing these children.
I was thinking of indentured servitude. Ironically the legal acknowledgement of chattel slavery was established by a black owner of a black slave (US)

I very much doubt one man travelling alone, and likely wearing some marker of his status (such as a hole in his ear), would be able to get very far.
I did wonder about how slaves were distinguished. In America of course skin colour would be an indicator (sadly) just as being white skinned made Christians slaves stand out in the Ottoman empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back