Jonathan Edwards: Othniel as a Type of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an adherent to a robust principle of typology in the OT, and I find the beginning of the observation ingenious and compelling: Othniel a mediator-type, and Aschah a church-type.

On the other hand, the further one stretches the typology--as when J.E. takes the gaining of the springs and assigns them special reference in meaning to "seasons" of New Covenant era history--he is veering at that point into the unconstrained realm of allegory (in my opinion). A legitimate application of typology should fit Christ and his church-universal; or be fit for appropriation/appreciation by any age of the church for itself, and not as we might imagine another age did or shall best make use of it.

Reading into the gift/bequest peculiar prophetic application or spiritual quality/meaning; whether from the words used in asking or granting, or from the names of the applicants or bestower, or from the nature of the gifts (as I judge happens in this case), or etc.; these are the sorts of departures from a plain reading that the Medieval quadriga hermeneutic failed to regulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back