Jon Courson of Calvary Chapel on Ephesians 2:8,9

Status
Not open for further replies.

NB3K

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have been studying for preparation on a work to write on Ephesians 2:8-10. In my studying, I came across this, which, for the most part, was edifying.

Ephesians 2:8,9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

In verses 4-7, we saw God's work for us as He brought us back from the dead and raised us to sit with Him in heavenly places. Here in verse 8,9, we see His work in us.

"It might be God's work," you say, "but it's my faith."

No. Here, Paul says specifically that even the faith it took to be saved is not of ourselves. Why? Because dead men don't have faith. That is why Paul declares that there is none that seeks after God, no not one (Romans 3:11).

"Then what part did I have in salvation?" you ask.

None. You were elected before the foundation of the world, and the faith you finally exercised to recieve Jesus Christ was faith that God Himself put in your heart. That is why Jesus declared, "No man can come unto Me except the Father draws him" (John 6:44).

The entire orb of salvation is totally due to God's grace. We become worshippers now and eternally because His work in us and for us is truly amazing. [Jon Courson's Application Commentary N.T.,Nelson,pp.1234-1235]

Good job Jon!,we met him and fellowshipped,great guy,very encouraging,I differ with him on some things but I had been blessed as a young Christian by God speaking through him,just keep in mind he's not a reformed guy if you are studying with him

Courson was important to my becoming a big fan of preaching. The man has a gift for making things understandable and edifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back