John Shower on life’s evils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... We know not what shall be on the Morrow, much less what a twelve Month may produce. Because whatever may be disposed to happen, from natural causes, or civil counsels, may be altered by a particular decree of Providence. Prepare me Lord! and every of those in whose Felicity I more especially take part, for all the Calamities and Sorrows, thine infinite Wisdom shall think fit to exercise us with, this following year: and by thy merciful Providence, and gracious Conduct, cause them to work for Good: Furnishing us with suitable strength and wisdom, to acquiesce in thy good Pleasure, and obey thy Will. Let me follow thee, as the Father of the Faithful, ‘though I know not whither thou wilt lead me. Knowing the wisdom and faithfulness of my Pilot, let me therein be satisfied, though I know not particularly what course he will steer. I thank thee, O Heavenly Father! that thou hast reserved the knowledge of future Times and Seasons to thy self, and hid Events from Men; Lest by considering them Certain, we should presume in case they are Good; or should despairingly afflict our selves, by foreseeing the Evil we know, to be inevitable.

Did we certainly foreknow the Good that would befall us, we should not Trust in thee to bring it to pass, or heartily implore thy Care and Conduct. Did we foresee the Evils we shall suffer, before they overtake us, we should be overwhelmed with diffidence and Despair. Many a Mother who rejoiceth at the Birth of a Son, would mourn to foresee what a Man, what a Son he will prove. Such an increase of Knowledge would increase our Sorrow; such a Prescience would transport and discompose us, by unseasonable Joys and Sorrows, born out of Time; make us remiss in our Duty to Thee; and weaken our Dependence on thine own unerring Wisdom, Truth, and Power. ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back