John Shelby Spong has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
John Shelby Spong, the radical American Episcopal priest, died today (Sunday, 9/12/21) at the age of 90. I've heard about him for years. He was so liberal he made other liberals almost look conservative.

Unless he repented before he died (and, humanly speaking, God very graciously allowed him to live to be 90 - lots of time to repent) recognizing his sinfulness and his need of a Savior, he now experiences eternal damnation.

It's sad that any person would reject salvation.

John Shelby Spong, the radical American Episcopal priest, died today (Sunday, 9/12/21) at the age of 90. I've heard about him for years. He was so liberal he made other liberals almost look conservative.

Unless he repented before he died (and, humanly speaking, God very graciously allowed him to live to be 90 - lots of time to repent) recognizing his sinfulness and his need of a Savior, he now experiences eternal damnation.

It's sad that any person would reject salvation.
The man who “learned” so much of the Bible, even read it every Sunday for decades as part of his services, was so hard hearted that hearing the word of God only hardened him and gave him so to attack it and God’s people, but especially His Son. I tremble for this man.

I believe his writing greatly confused (putting it mildly) my spiritually hurting father during his last years. He was an evil enemy of the church.

My husband and I were talking about this last night -- hoping he had repented.

In my somewhat rebellious college days, a friend shared a couple of Spong's books with me, explaining that they'd benefited her PC(USA) family members. When I read one of them, I was so shocked and repelled (I think I still have the angry notes I scribbled somewhere) that I think God used the book to help push me back to orthodox Christianity.

I'm so grieved for the many more who were led astray by him.

2nd Timothy 3:5;7 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

If you want to get a feel for this guy's theology, check out the debate he did with James White:

As mentioned, he was an enemy of the church.

I'm at the point where I would just say good riddance. The man did nothing but damage to the world. At that debate with James White, Spong didn't even bother to bring a Bible.

God has providentially shut the mouth of another false prophet. Rejoice that your prayers have been answered (even if not in the precise manner that you would have liked).

God has providentially shut the mouth of another false prophet. Rejoice that your prayers have been answered (even if not in the precise manner that you would have liked).
Well..... I realize that. But it would have been nice if he had been silenced before he head wreaked havoc. In the years preceding Spong's death he became irrelevant.

Well..... I realize that. But it would have been nice if he had been silenced before he head wreaked havoc. In the years preceding Spong's death he became irrelevant.
In many ways Spong was a throwback. He tickled the ears of an already establish "market" of a certain type. Liberal Protestantism, including her more extreme advocates, are more often than not sterile. Those who attend churches of Spong's ilk don't replace themselves. It takes an especially energetically angry and driven soul to suppress their own knowledge of God and with what is left over, dedicate their life to suppressing others' knowledge of God. Their children just say, "Why bother? Eat, drink and be merry..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back