John Piper, Guns, Self-Defense

Discussion in 'The Law of God' started by BayouHuguenot, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirian

Tirian Puritan Board Sophomore

Interact with either Piper's article, or my defense of it and come back when you have a well informed response please.

But I digress - this is puerile.

2. Logan

Logan Puritan Board Junior

No Matt, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I hope I never act "high and mighty" and ask forgiveness if I do. But so far you've not given much indication that you're trying to understand or listen and I humbly ask you to think this over. I'm sorry you take offense but nothing you've said so far has led me to believe that you are well informed on these issues or have a sound Scriptural argument, and yet you're very persistent in arguing it! That's something to very seriously consider.

3. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

How many times are we going to go through with this? Piper's article is ethically and logically incoherent. There is nothing left to say.

4. Rutherglen1794

Rutherglen1794 Puritan Board Sophomore

As a bystander to this conversation, a non-owner of guns, and someone who lives in neither the USA nor the Commonwealth of Australia, I have to agree with Jacob and Logan at this point. I am disappointed by what has transpired here.

5. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

Sure is. What are you hoping to gain ? Is it he who has the last word wins the argument ? I think you've made your point ......... at least I get it. You are an anti gun enthusiast. I'll pray that if the barbarians come to your personal defenseless gate law enforcement gets there before you're harmed.

Reading Pastor Piper's argument I cannot say it doesn't have merit. On the other hand, being persecuted for Christ's name aside, if the Savopoulos family had a firearm to protect them from the monster who brutally tortured and murdered them, would it have been sinful for them to defend themselves ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/50296773-story

6. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

:deadhorse:

7. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I don't know if all that can be said has been said or whether everything that can be said has simply not been said by everybody.

That said, it is my opinion that the horse stinketh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.