John Owen and the mediatorial subordination of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
(1.) An authoritative imposition of the office of Mediator, which Christ closed withal by his voluntary susception of it, willingly undergoing the office, wherein by dispensation the Father had and exercised a kind of superiority, which the Son, though “in the form of God,” humbled himself unto, Phil. ii. 6–8. And of this there may conceived two parts:—

[1.] The purposed imposition of his counsel, or his eternal counsel for the setting apart of his Son incarnate to this office, saying unto him, “Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the nations for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession,” Ps. ii. 7, 8. He said unto him, “Sit thou at my right hand until I make thine enemies thy footstool;” for “the Lord swore, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek,” Ps. cx. 1, 4. He appointed him to be “heir of all things,” Heb. i. 2, having “ordained him to be Judge of quick and dead,” Acts x. 42; for unto this he was “ordained before the foundation of the world,” 1 Pet. i. 20, and “determined, ὁρισθείς, to be the Son of God with power,” Rom. i. 4, “that he might be the first-born among many brethren,” chap. viii. 29. ...

For more, see John Owen and the mediatorial subordination of Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back