John Owen and the avoidance of the "all or nothing" mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
In John Owen's preface to his work in defence of the absolute necessity of the atonement, he was forced to disagree with some theologians for whom he had great respect and ended up agreeing with certain divines with whom he had serious differences on other matters. Those who adopt an "all or nothing" approach when judging theologians could learn from Owen's maturity on this matter:

But again, having sailed through this sea of troubles and being ready to launch out upon the subject, that gigantic spectre, “It is everywhere spoken against,” should have occasioned me no delay, had it not come forth inscribed with the mighty names of Augustine, Calvin, Musculus, Twisse, and Vossius. And although I could not but entertain for these divines that honour and respect which is due to such great names, yet, partly by considering myself as entitled to that “freedom wherewith Christ hath made us free,” and partly by opposing to these the names of other very learned theologians, — namely, Paræus, Piscator, Molinæus, Lubbertus, Rivetus, Cameron, Maccovius, Junius, the professors at Saumur, and others, — who, after the spreading of the poison of Socinianism, have with great accuracy and caution investigated and cleared up this truth, I easily got rid of any uneasiness from that quarter.

John Owen, A Dissertation of Divine Justice: or, The Claims of Vindicatory Justice Vindicated (1653) in William H. Goold (ed.), The Works of John Owen (1850-53; 16 vols, Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1967), 10: 488-89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back