John Love: Those who are as unstable as water must cast themselves on the Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I only came across the Church of Scotland's John Love (1757-1825) as I was going through the Christian Miscellany either late last night or this very early morning. He was a big supporter of foreign missions. Anyway, he is an extract from one of his letters:

I hope no length of time, or change of circumstances, shall cause you to forget those solemn views of eternity, and impressions of your misery as a sinner, and those beginnings of the knowledge of the glory and love of Christ, which so deeply engaged your thoughts while with us. These gifts and callings of God, being according to the counsel of his eternal love, are without repentance on his part.

And though we, in ourselves, are unstable as water, and would soon mar the work, and cast away the charters of our eternal inheritance, he is the Rock, he changeth not, and will not suffer us essentially to change; but will bring judgment unto victory—bringing light out of our wretched darkness, order out of our confusion, and establishment and fresh displays of his power and love out of our faintings and backslidings.

For the reference, see John Love: Those who are as unstable as water must cast themselves on the Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back