John Gill on the 4th Commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvanus

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a book or article that directly addresses John Gill's position on the 4th commandment, specifically "Of the Circumstances of Public Worship, as to Place and Time," found in his Body of Practical Divinity, Bk. 3 Ch. 8.

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/gill/practical.iv.viii.html

A large part of it I found not too compelling, especially his point that it does not belong to the moral law, or his use of Col 2:16 and Romans 14:5. But his commentary under 1b. "that there is no proof of the patriarchs from Adam to the times of Moses observing such a day," is difficult to dispute.

In search of a good response specifically addressed to Gill, or at least specifically addressed to his points.

Thanks,
Jon

This portion of C. Hodge's ST address the issue of Sabbath observance though the patriarchs, though not Gill particularly:

"Apart from the fact that the reason for the Sabbath existed from the beginning, there is direct historical evidence that the hebdomadal division of time prevailed before the deluge. Noah in Genesis viii. 10, 12, is said twice to have rested seven days. And again in the time of Jacob, as appears from Genesis xxix. 27, 28, the division of time into weeks was recognized as an established usage. As seven is not an equal part either of a solar year or of a lunar month, the only satisfactory account of this fact, is to be found in the institution of the Sabbath. This fact moreover proves not only the original institution, but also the continued observance of the seventh day. There must have been something to distinguish that day as the close of one period or the commencement of another."

This portion of C. Hodge's ST address the issue of Sabbath observance though the patriarchs, though not Gill particularly:

"Apart from the fact that the reason for the Sabbath existed from the beginning, there is direct historical evidence that the hebdomadal division of time prevailed before the deluge. Noah in Genesis viii. 10, 12, is said twice to have rested seven days. And again in the time of Jacob, as appears from Genesis xxix. 27, 28, the division of time into weeks was recognized as an established usage. As seven is not an equal part either of a solar year or of a lunar month, the only satisfactory account of this fact, is to be found in the institution of the Sabbath. This fact moreover proves not only the original institution, but also the continued observance of the seventh day. There must have been something to distinguish that day as the close of one period or the commencement of another."

Appreciate this. I’ve been meaning to look at Hodge; it’s on my list of those to read through.

I’ve actually had the thought that he is making here; I believe Bannerman and Ryle make a similar point. If I take Gill’s point on this—and his limitation of the requirement to keep the 4th to Israel only—I’m left confused by Jesus’s statement that the “Sabbath was made for man...”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back