John Gill is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnGill

Puritan Board Senior
I've been posting for a while, but have never posted an introduction post. I'll cover mainly what I believe about different issues.

I'm a Presbyterian Baptist as my pastor and I joke. Or to put it another way, I'm reformed and baptistic. I used to be IFBkad. (Independent Fundamental Baptist kool-aid drinker. Think a cross between John R. Rice and Jack Hyles theology.)

I post-millennial. I was a dispensational pre-trib. Then a non-dispensational pre-trib. Then historic pre-mill.

I'm Bahnsen VanTillian in apologetic method. I believe apologetics and evangelism work hand in hand.

I believe the text of scripture is that text which has the greatest chronological and geographical distribution throughout the Copies, Versions, and Fathers. Therefore I believe the TR (all of them) and the Ben Chayyim Masoretic Text to be final authority. I will only use translations from these two texts. I currently use the AV, but if someone wants to buy me a nice leather bound Geneva Bible I won't say no. (Was that subtle enough?) I used to be KJVO (not Ruckman, but Waite-lite.) I'm now KJV Preferred.

I subscribe to the Three Forms of Unity and the London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689. Obviously I do not subscribe to the HC's view on paedo-baptism, but instead substitute Hercules Collins reformulation of it.

I'm theonomic. The less annoying kind if that makes sense.

I believe in conquering the culture for Christ through the twin tools we have been given by God, namely evangelism and discipling.

I enjoy studying theology. (Bavinck, Gill, Turretin, a Brakel, Watson.)

I love reading Puritan literature, especially their sermons.

My top 5 favorite preachers are: Joel Beeke, Greg Bahnsen, Henry Krabbendam, Gregory Barkman, Foppe Vanderzwaag.

My favorite music styles are: Baroque, Celtic, Chinese, Classic Hymnal Music, and Doom Metal. There are no other styles of music save these.

I believe in exclusive psalmody.

I believe every Christian should be forced to learn Universal Grammar, Logic, and Rhetoric. Every Christian should also be forced to learn at least Latin and Greek. When I'm world dictator this will be so. Get busy now.

If there's something else you think I should put up, let me know.

Last edited:

Neogillist

Puritan Board Freshman
Looks like you share much in common with me. I used to lean towards post-millenialism, but now I have embraced amillenialism after reading a good exegesis of Rev. 20.

I am also an EP but I tolerate hymns just like John Gill did. Have you read his sermon on Psalm Singing?

I am also a moderate theonomist. I believe that governmental laws cannot go against the Law of God, but are subordinate and must be based according to Scriptures.

I am neither a paedo-baptist nor a credo-baptist, as I think both views can be argued exegetically from Scripture. I do lean towards paedo however because I was baptized as a baby. I can also understand why a credo who was baptized as an adult would also lean towards the credo view.

JohnGill

Puritan Board Senior
Doom Metal.

Please tell me you like Candlemass? "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus"? Come on...

EDIT: Whoops, I just remembered that Eddie Marcolin's first album with Candlemass was their second, "Nightfall."

I said DOOM METAL.

Think more like Rhapsody of Fire, but a different, better band. Think, who are the true Kings of Metal and then follow the song of the Hymn.

Pilgrim72

Puritan Board Junior
Oh, dude. They're not doom.

Rhapsody is Symphonic Power from Italy.

Check out:

Rhapsody of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The BNR Metal Pages, Version 2 -
Encyclopaedia Metallum - Rhapsody of Fire

Okay. So let me think... Well, I don't personally like Rhapsody (way too cheesy for my tastes), but they sorta have a Helloween sound to them. Or perhaps Blind Guardian? Oh wait, Kamelot has a song called "A Sailorman's Hymn". Are they the band?
Anyway, I need more hints if none of those are it.

But as for doom metal, Candlemass is the quintessential doom band. (Although I don't personally like them.) For a great doom metal band, check out Solitude Aeturnus.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Sophomore
Krabbendam? Anyone who likes him can't be all bad!

When he would go on vacation to Florida, he would always preach at my home church. We'd be engrossed in his sermon and still keep track of how many times he took off and put his glasses back on. He also got my old pastor to start going to Uganda regularly.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
Baroque is my favorite too. But I add Bob Dylan (all of his corpus, including "Self Portrait" once dubbed by Rolling Stone the worst double album ever recorded by a major artist).

I'm not EP, but feel cheated at not growing up on the Psalter.

cornopean

Puritan Board Freshman
I believe the text of scripture is that text which has the greatest chronological and geographical distribution throughout the Copies, Versions, and Fathers. Therefore I believe the TR (all of them) and the Ben Chayyim Masoretic Text to be final authority. I will only use translations from these two texts. I currently use the AV, but if someone wants to buy me a nice leather bound Geneva Bible I won't say no. (Was that subtle enough?) I used to be KJVO (not Ruckman, but Waite-lite.) I'm now KJV Preferred.
Just wondering here.....
To what do you attribute the fact that every translation committee has chosen a more critical text edition for their translation? Since 1611, nooone has chosen the TR (to the best of my knowledge) as the basis of a translation. Why?

PuritanCovenanter

Staff member
Just wondering here.....
To what do you attribute the fact that every translation committee has chosen a more critical text edition for their translation? Since 1611, nooone has chosen the TR (to the best of my knowledge) as the basis of a translation. Why?

Because they fell under the Eclectic text spell? It was more modern and scholarly supposedly. And it was based upon the modern scholarship that wasn't fully enlightened.

They were more interested in texts that tore apart the testimony of Christ by following the Alexandrian texts because they were older manuscripts. Albeit there is suppose to be only two of them, against the myraid of majority text manuscripts. The testimony of two older texts is suppose to be more reliable. Even though the writings of the early church fathers and songs sung in the early church support the Majority, these men claimed the Alexandrian more closer to the original. I have my doubts as you can see.

This site Trinitarian Bible Society - The Word of God Among All Nations has a lot of good stuff concerning this.

Theodore Letis also has some good books on this. Most of my understanding comes from J. P. Green, Pickering, and Dean Burgon. Theodore Letis and his works were discussed more recently here. http://www.puritanboard.com/f63/theodore-letis-36048/

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
Doom Metal.

EDIT: Whoops, I just remembered that Eddie Marcolin's first album with Candlemass was their second, "Nightfall."

I said DOOM METAL.

Think more like Rhapsody of Fire, but a different, better band. Think, who are the true Kings of Metal and then follow the song of the Hymn.

As Alex said, Rhapsody is most definitely a power metal band, and Candlemass is the epitome of doom metal. I'm not saying you have to like them, but you would have to redefine the genre in order to say Candlemass isn't doom.

That aside, what doom metal band(s) do you like?

JohnGill

Puritan Board Senior
Just wondering here.....

Because they fell under the Eclectic text spell? It was more modern and scholarly supposedly. And it was based upon the modern scholarship that wasn't fully enlightened.

They were more interested in texts that tore apart the testimony of Christ by following the Alexandrian texts because they were older manuscripts. Albeit there is suppose to be only two of them, against the myraid of majority text manuscripts. The testimony of two older texts is suppose to be more reliable. Even though the writings of the early church fathers and songs sung in the early church support the Majority, these men claimed the Alexandrian more closer to the original. I have my doubts as you can see.

This site Trinitarian Bible Society - The Word of God Among All Nations has a lot of good stuff concerning this.

Theodore Letis also has some good books on this. Most of my understanding comes from J. P. Green, Pickering, and Dean Burgon. Theodore Letis and his works were discussed more recently here. http://www.puritanboard.com/f63/theodore-letis-36048/

He read my mind.

:ditto:

I would also point out that the underlying rationalism of the modern textual criticism method is a serious problem. And there was no evidence provided to show that the CT was better than the TR. The evidence goes the other way. Besides, consensus does not determine which greek text we are to use. If consensus is the standard, then Athanasius was wrong.

JohnGill

Puritan Board Senior

I said DOOM METAL.

As Alex said, Rhapsody is most definitely a power metal band, and Candlemass is the epitome of doom metal. I'm not saying you have to like them, but you would have to redefine the genre in order to say Candlemass isn't doom.

That aside, what doom metal band(s) do you like?

There is only one true doom metal band. They set the standard for the genre. Google 'Sword in the Wind' for YouTube

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
There is only one true doom metal band. They set the standard for the genre. Google 'Sword in the Wind' for YouTube

Wait, are you referring to Manowar? If so, they are not doom, although they do have some doomy qualities. Lol, you're pretty adamant about this one band you like.

Pilgrim72

Puritan Board Junior
Music is a very personal thing. Some bands are able to touch certain people in ways that no other can. And I know within the metal genre, many fans are extremely dedicated and passionate. So, where Manowar may not do anything for me or you, it may hold a special place for Chris.

I kinda put Manowar in the "Mighty Metal Brethren Raise Your Swords For Glory" subgenre of Power Metal, along with Bands like Virgin Steele and Hammerfall.

Funny story: I went with a friend a few years ago to see King's X, and Hammerfall came all the way over from Sweden to tour with them. (I didn't even know they were going to be there, mainly due to them being a totally different style of music.) Well, I was quickly amused at how the band was dressed (and in total seriousness) -- they were dressed in some sort of battle armor as they raised their fists and voices to the honor and glory of their metal crusade. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.