John Frith on Patrick’s Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The English Reformer, John Frith, wrote the following recommendation in his translator’s foreword to Patrick Hamilton’s Places:

Blessed be God the father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which in these last and perilous times hath stirred up in all countries witnesses on to his son to testify the truth on to the unfaithful, to save at the least some from the snares of Antichrist which lead on to perdition. As ye may here perceive by that excellent and well learned young man Patrick born in Scotland of a noble progeny, which to testify the truth sought all means and took upon him priesthood (even as Paul circumcised Timothy to win the weak Jews) that he might be admitted to preach the pure word of God.

Notwithstanding as soon as the chamberlain and other bishops of Scotland had perceived that the light began to spring which disclosed their falsehood that they convey in darkness, they laid hands on him: and because he would not deny his saviour Christ at their instance they burnt him to ashes. Nevertheless God of his bounteous merry (to publish on to the whole world, what a man the monsters have murdered, hath reserved a little treatise made by this Patrick, which if ye list ye may call Patrick’s places. For it entreateth exactly of certain common places, which known, ye have the pith of all divinity. This treatise have I turned in to the English tongue to the profit of my nation: to whom I beseech God give light, that they may espy the deceitful paths of perdition & return in to the right way which leadeth on to life everlasting. Amen.

For the reference, see John Frith on Patrick’s Places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back