John Flavel Quotes On Ministerial Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
"The work whereunto the ministers of the gospel are appointed is to reconcile the world to God. To work these sinful, vain, rebellious hearts, which have a strong aversion from God naturally in them, to close with him according to the articles of peace contained in the gospel, that thereby they may be capable to receive the mercies and benefits purchased by the death of Christ, which they cannot receive in their state of enmity and alienation." -- John Flavel, "The Method of Grace (V.II)", pg. 50

"Christ's treating with sinners by His ministers, who are his ambassadors, implies the strict obligation they are under to be faithful in their ministerial employment. Christ counts upon their faithfulness whom He puts into the ministry (1 Tim 1:12). They are accountable to Him for all acts of their office. (Heb. 13:17). If they be silent, they cannot be innocent. (1 Cor 9:16). Yea, necessity is not only laid upon them to preach, but to keep close to their commission in preaching the gospel. (1 Thess 2:3-4)." -- John Flavel, "The Method of Grace (V.II)", pg. 52

"God's mercy is eminently discovered in the institution of, and Satan's malice is discovered in opposition to, the ministerial office. Satan is a great and jealous prince, and it is no wonder he should raise all the forces he can to oppose the ambassadors of Christ." -- John Flavel, "The Method of Grace (Vol. II)", pg. 60

"Let us be serious in our work as well as judicious. Remember, O ye ambassadors of Christ, you bring a message from the God of heaven, of everlasting consequence to the souls of men. The eternal decrees are executed upon them in your ministry. To some, you are the savour of life unto life, and to some, the savour of death unto death (2 Cor 2:16). Heaven and hell are matters of most awful and solemn consideration. O, what an account have we also shortly to give unto him that sent us!" -- John Flavel, "The Method of Grace (Vol. II)", pg. 64

From "The Method of Grace", Vol.II of his Works. 2235779801_5bb8237841_m.jpg

Many thanks for these quotes. John Flavel was the first Puritan I ever read and remains one of my favourites.

"God's mercy is eminently discovered in the institution of, and Satan's malice is discovered in opposition to, the ministerial office. Satan is a great and jealous prince, and it is no wonder he should raise all the forces he can to oppose the ambassadors of Christ." -- John Flavel, "The Method of Grace (Vol. II)", pg. 60

I remember an older minister saying he never understood the biblical teaching on Satan until he entered the ministry; then he saw its utmost importance.

Thankyou for the quotations. Very seasonable.

I remember an older minister saying he never understood the biblical teaching on Satan until he entered the ministry; then he saw its utmost importance.

Thankyou for the quotations. Very seasonable.

Not to stray off topic too much but how do you reconcile Satan being in chains and his opposition to the ministers of the church? Is it (opposition) just the result of his past work in your opinion? I ask with no contention but out of curiosity.

Not to stray off topic too much but how do you reconcile Satan being in chains and his opposition to the ministers of the church?

The opposition is manifest through the world which lies in wickedness and the remnants of sin which abide in Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back