John Durant on Christ’s nativity and the dignity of human nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Add to all these ends, this in the last place, That Christ by his nativity hath raised our human nature, the dignity of which was another end of it. Oh! how might I shew the love of Christ to transcend in this end of his nativity! Certainly believers Christ by uniting your nature to his own, did mightily dignify it. How doth the human nature shine in the luster of the divine?

How doth the pebble (man’s nature) glister in the golden (I should say the glorious) ring of the divine nature? O the transcendency of Christ love, that he would stoop so low, as to be born for this end, that thereby he might raise high the nature of his beloved ones, i.e. believers!

So that thus you see how the birth of Christ (thoroughly viewed) giveth a bright discovery of the transcendency of his love. Certainly, if you spiritually contemplate all that love which shines in the birth of the Lord Jesus, you will easily conclude, that his love to believers passeth knowledge.

For the reference, see John Durant on Christ’s nativity and the dignity of human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back