John Chrysostom on the necessity of the scriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Here are two translations of the same passage from John Chrysostom - it's from his first homily on the Statues . . .

Chrysostom (349-407): These then are the reasons; but it is necessary to establish them all from the Scriptures, and to show with exactness (or precision, ἀκριβείας) that all that has been said on this subject is not an invention of human reasoning, but the very sentence of the Scriptures. For thus will what we say be at once more deserving of credit, and sink the deeper into your minds. NPNF1: Vol. IX, Homilies concerning the Statues, 1.14.
Chrysostom (349-407): These [i.e., causes of the afflictions of the saints] therefore are the causes; but it is necessary that they should all be confirmed by the Scriptures, and demonstrated with accuracy [i.e., precision, ἀκριβείας], as not being the inventions of human reasonings, but the declaration of the Scriptures. For thus our discourse will be more worthy of your faith, and will be more deeply seated in your souls. George Finch, The Sketch of the Romish Controversy, Vol. II (London: British Society for Promoting the Religious Principles of the Reformation, 1850), pp. 288-289.
Greek text: Καὶ αἱ μὲν αἰτίαι αὗται· δεῖ δὲ αὐτὰς ἀπὸ τῶν Γραφῶν πιστώσασθαι πάσας, καὶ δεῖξαι μετὰ ἀκριβείας, ὡς οὐκ ἀνθρωπίνων λογισμῶν ἐπίνοια, ἀλλὰ τῶν Γραφῶν ἐστιν ἀπόφασις τὰ εἰρημένα ἅπαντα. Οὕτω γὰρ καὶ ὁ λόγος ἡμῖν ἀξιοπιστότερος ἔσται, καὶ μᾶλλον ἐγκαθεδεῖται ταῖς ὑμετέραις ψυχαῖς. Ad populum Antiochenum, Homilia 1.6, PG 49:24.

This is tangential to the main subject matter, but I would like to ask - where do you source the PL and PG texts that you frequently include in your posts?

I am familiar with Migne. But I figured for the polytonic diacritics with the Greek you must have a hard-loaded source of some sort on your computer. I've certainly not been able to find anything available online with this feature, for a practical price anyway. Thanks for the info!

you must have a hard-loaded source of some sort on your computer
It's a Greek font provided by Logos. Admittedly one must be familiar with the Greek font keyboard for the vowel breathing marks and accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back