Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

John Calvin and the RPW

Discussion in 'Worship' started by Joseph Scibbe, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Scibbe

Joseph Scibbe Puritan Board Junior

Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day? If so, was John Calvin sinning when he held daily services daily?

2. dudley

dudley Puritan Board Post-Graduate

I think you are correct with your observation but I do not think calvin was sinning....I think he was showing daily reverence for Go only not considering what he did to be public worship..I may be wrong..but I believe I read that in a taext on the History of Protestantsim.

3. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

No. Scotland had weekly [weekday] meetings as well. George Gillespie discusses this at several points in his Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies.

4. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

No. Acts 2:46; Heb. 3:13, compared with 10:25.

5. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Does it? I'm inclined to say that'd be an example of the regulative principle run amok, especially since it's hard enough in the first place to find a direct biblical command to gather for worship on the first day of the week, the practice being inferred from indirect references.

6. Andres

Andres Puritan Board Doctor

The Lord's Day is the day specifically set apart for corporate worship, however I don't see anything in Scripture and/or our Confession that limits the saints to gathering only on this day.

7. torstar

torstar Puritan Board Sophomore

Those unfortunate people who had the opportunity to hear Calvin preach every day of the week.

:(

8. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

I am struggling to understand the point of this thread.

9. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

None now. Wrong presumption corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.