John Bruce on the difference between respecting and loving real goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Here, then is another test of our Christian discipleship – a test, moreover, which I greatly fear many inwardly feel that they cannot at all abide. They inwardly respect real goodness; but to respect it is one thing, and so to love as to associate with it, and peculiarly to befriend and shelter it, is distinctly another.

And while I say not of now hearing me, that they are without natural affection. I yet would have you all to that you may utterly detest, and shun as would do the contagion of a pestilence, or of the grave, even all that is gracious; and that, should that persecution of which we at last been officially forewarned, be now to break forth upon us, it will be but in fulfilment of all our speculations upon human character, if we find the most active and relentless agents of it among those of our professing brethren, who have ever felt highest respect for real goodness, and yet have been farthest of all from ever liking it.

For the reference, see John Bruce on the difference between respecting and loving real goodness.

Here, then is another test of our Christian discipleship – a test, moreover, which I greatly fear many inwardly feel that they cannot at all abide. They inwardly respect real goodness; but to respect it is one thing, and so to love as to associate with it, and peculiarly to befriend and shelter it, is distinctly another.

And while I say not of now hearing me, that they are without natural affection. I yet would have you all to that you may utterly detest, and shun as would do the contagion of a pestilence, or of the grave, even all that is gracious; and that, should that persecution of which we at last been officially forewarned, be now to break forth upon us, it will be but in fulfilment of all our speculations upon human character, if we find the most active and relentless agents of it among those of our professing brethren, who have ever felt highest respect for real goodness, and yet have been farthest of all from ever liking it.

For the reference, see John Bruce on the difference between respecting and loving real goodness.
That’s good.

We’re in danger of being ashamed even despising what is truly and morally good in God’s eyes. Even in danger of failing to recognize that it’s good, due to our being blinded by worldliness. May the Lord help his people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back