John Bond on the danger of violent malignants to a king

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I am currently reading 2 Samuel and had been wondering about the issue which the Westminster divine, John Bond, addresses in the below extract:

The third is the danger and mischief of force and violence; The taking away of the wicked from before the King, is a means to establish his Throne in Righteousness, because of the violence, and the force that a King is in danger of; when the wicked are about the Throne, his person is in danger to be mastered by their force, and power, and strength. 2 Sam. 3.38. See it in David. Malignants may be too hard for a King by force, and violence, as well as by flattery and Counsel. The King said to his servants, Know ye not that a Prince, and a great man is fallen in Israel? I this day am weak though anointed King, and these men the sons of Zerviah are too hard for me.

This was the case, Joab had killed Abner treacherously, David was King, Joab was the General of his Army and his kins-man, David was Uncle to Joab and his brother, they were his nephews; Joab had slain Abner basely, it was a murder, and a treacherous murder, and David was King and should have done justice, and he had protested it, yet these were too hard for him, not in point of seducing by flattery, or of evil Counsel, but by force and violence.

David could not make his party good against Joab, because he was Governor of the Army, and he was afraid that Joab might make more force then he, and so he mastered the King, and kept him from doing of justice, though he were a just King, and had vowed to do justice, and blood called upon him: Yet these sons of Zerviah (for there were three of them, but one was slain) these grand Cavaliers, when they had gotten the sword in their hand, though their pretence were to help David, yet afterward they over-mastered him, and would kill and slay, and David could not check them for it.

For the reference, see John Bond on the danger of violent malignants to a king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back