Paedo-Baptism Answers John and Elijah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braden

Puritan Board Freshman
It was mentioned to me earlier today that John came in the spirit of Elijah. If we examine Elijah's baptism, we see it as an adult washing in the river and being made clean.

How does this not support a credo viewpoint?

See my post in the other thread u created as it touches on the distinction.

Is your question based on mode, i.e. submerging the individual instead of sprinkling? Elijah had the sign in his flesh already; hence, this was a ritual 'washing'.

Last edited:
See my post in the other thread u created as it touches on the distinction.

Is your question based on mode, i.e. submerging the individual instead of sprinkling? Elijah had the sign in his flesh already; hence, this was a ritual 'washing'.
When I say 'elijahs baptism' I mean the baptism he commanded the mighty man to have, not the baptism of Elijah himself.

Is your question about the recipients of baptism or the mode? It seems you're most emphasizing that Namaan was an adult.

Namaan was an adult. The OT pattern is for adult professors/ conversions such as with Abraham (Romans 4:11) or Namaan, the reality comes before the rite/sign (and as a token of their faith which preceded); but for children of believers, the sign is actually commanded by God himself to be administered long before the reality is possible (Genesis 17). We argue this same pattern carries over but now the NC sign is baptism. For adult professing believers, the pattern is faith in the Lord, then baptism; for their children it is baptism, then faith in the Lord.

Last edited:
It was mentioned to me earlier today that John came in the spirit of Elijah. If we examine Elijah's baptism, we see it as an adult washing in the river and being made clean.

How does this not support a credo viewpoint?
If you're referring to the episode with Naaman, that was Elisha, not Elijah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back