John Aikman Wallace on the Disruption and the path of duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... My Dear Friends, it is now ten years since I came for the first time into this parish, having no previous acquaintance with any one of you, and bearing the character of an entire stranger. I scarcely think I ever went to the pulpit before with a heart so oppressed with anxiety, or so cast down with the difficulties that seemed then to be before me. ...

Men, indeed, there may be found, who may still continue to talk lightly of these things, as if they were scarce deserving of any serious consideration—as if all would subside again, and that speedily, into silence and forgetfulness. That, however, we think to be impossible. The principles at issue are too momentous to warrant such a result. The movement, we verily believe, is only beginning, and will continue, we doubt not, to be carried on till Christ’s glorious kingdom shall be established, and the knowledge of the Lord shall cover the earth, as the waters cover the sea.

Meanwhile, let all of you who have given in your adherence to the great principles in question, and who have joined together in the lifting up of an emphatic testimony for the crown rights of the Divine Redeemer, be persuaded and encouraged, in dependence on the grace of God’s Holy Spirit, to cleave unto the Lord wholly, and to follow out your testimony to all its appropriate and legitimate results. ...

For more, see John Aikman Wallace on the Disruption and the path of duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back