Featured Joel R. Beeke's New Systematic Theology

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by bookslover, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

Well, the official publication date was yesterday (March 31).

But (1) it's still listed, ominously, as a pre-order item at Reformation Heritage Books's website and (2) Amazon says, ominously, that it will be delivered in "1 to 2 months."

This is not looking good. Does this mean we have to wait EVEN LONGER?

Grrr. We are not amused.

2. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Sophomore

I will ask Dr. Beeke what the new date is when I talk to him later.

3. bookslover

UPDATE: I talked to a plugged-in guy at RHB (I called because I had a question about something else) about the book. He says the books should be coming in later this week, and they'll start shipping them later this week and next week.

He also told me they have nearly 700 pre-orders for it. Nice to know people are interested in theology.

So, apparently, Crossway (and other publishers?) doesn't release the physical books to bookstores until the official publication date has literally passed? Legalists! LOL

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. bookslover

UPDATE: It showed up today (4/11) at my house. I could have kissed the mailman (but I refrained). A nice-looking volume, too.

Actual pagination: 1,309.

I've already started it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  5. Reformed Bookworm

I am glad you received it. It is worth the wait. You will be blessed by it. The study questions are a nice feature.

6. TheInquirer

TheInquirer Puritan Board Freshman

Would love to hear your thoughts on it at some point especially in comparison to other systematic works.

7. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

This is just Volume 1, correct?

8. Reformed Bookworm

Yes. I can post the TOC if anyone is interested to see the subject matter that is covered in volume one.

9. Johnathan Lee Allen

Johnathan Lee Allen Puritan Board Freshman

Please. I haven’t gotten mine yet.

10. Timmay

Timmay Puritan Board Freshman

I got mine at LigCon but my preorder copy showed up Monday. I’m gonna give it to my church library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Reformed Bookworm

"
    Contents

Abbreviations........................................................................................................... 13

Tables.......................................................................................................................... 15

Preface........................................................................................................................ 17

PART 1: PROLEGOMENA: INTRODUCTION TO THEOLOGY AND THE DOCTRINE OF REVELATION

Analytical Outline: Prolegomena......................................................................... 25

Section A: Introduction to Theology

1 What Is Theology? Part 1: An Academic Discipline............................. 39

2 What Is Theology? Part 2: A Spiritual Discipline................................. 55

3 Who Does Theology? Where? When?....................................................... 68

4 Which Theology Do We Do? Part 1: Christian, Catholic, Evangelical............. 83

5 Which Theology Do We Do? Part 2: Reformed: Historical, Confessional, Theological, and Hermeneutical Perspectives.................................. 101

6 Which Theology Do We Do? Part 3: Reformed: Polemical and Experiential Perspectives................................................................................................... 115

7 Why Do We Do Theology?....................................................................... 130

8 How Do We Do Theology? Part 1: Spiritual Dynamics.................. 145

9 How Do We Do Theology? Part 2: Academic Methods................. 159

Section B: The Doctrine of Revelation

10 Theological Fundamentals of Divine Revelation................................ 177

11 General Revelation, Part 1: Biblical Teaching...................................... 195

12 General Revelation, Part 2: Philosophy and Science......................... 214

13 General Revelation, Part 3: Natural Theology and Theistic Arguments 231

Excursus: Some Historical Perspective on Natural Theology and

Theistic Proofs.............................................................................................. 244

14 Special Revelation: Biblical Teaching..................................................... 264

15 Errors Regarding Special Revelation, Part 1: Romanism

and Liberalism.............................................................................................. 281

16 Errors Regarding Special Revelation, Part 2:

Liberalism’s Offspring................................................................................ 298

17 The Bible as the Word of God.................................................................. 316

18 The Properties of the Written Word, Part 1: Authority

and Clarity...................................................................................................... 334

19 The Properties of the Written Word, Part 2: Necessity, Unity,

and Efficacy................................................................................................... 352

20 The Properties of the Written Word, Part 3: Inerrant

Veracity.......................................................................................................... 371

21 The Properties of the Written Word, Part 4: Objections

to Inerrancy................................................................................................... 383

22 The Properties of the Written Word, Part 5: Sufficiency................. 395

23 The Cessation of Special Revelation, Part 1:

Charismatic Continuationism................................................................... 409

24 The Cessation of Special Revelation, Part 2: Prophecy Today . . .433

25 Applied Revelation for Practical Fruit................................................... 458

PART 2: THEOLOGY PROPER: THE DOCTRINE OF GOD

Analytical Outline: Theology Proper............................................................... 483

Section A: The Doctrine of God’s Triune Glory

26 Introduction: The True Knowledge of God.......................................... 501

27 Introduction to God’s Nature and Attributes, Part 1:

Biblical Teaching.......................................................................................... 518

28 Introduction to God’s Nature and Attributes, Part 2:

Theological Issues........................................................................................ 533

29 The Name of “the Lord” (YHWH)........................................................ 549

30 The Holiness of the Lord........................................................................... 566

31 Gods That Are Not God............................................................................ 584

32 God’s Spirituality.......................................................................................... 606

33 God’s Simplicity: “The Lord Our God Is One Lord”...................... 624

34 God’s Infinity, Part 1: Incomprehensibility, Aseity,

and Immensity.............................................................................................. 638

35 God’s Infinity, Part 2: Eternity: Infinity with Respect to Time....... 659

Excursus: Problems of Time and Eternity...................................................... 673

36 God’s Immutability, Part 1: Biblical Teaching..................................... 685

37 God’s Immutability, Part 2: Theological Issues................................... 702

38 God’s Knowledge, Part 1: Omniscience and Wisdom....................... 719

39 God’s Knowledge, Part 2: Foreknowledge............................................ 739

40 God’s Sovereignty: An Introduction to Omnipotence....................... 758

41 God’s Moral Excellence, Part 1: Goodness and Love....................... 781

42 God’s Moral Excellence, Part 2: Truth and Righteousness.............. 805

43 God’s Moral Excellence, Part 3: Jealousy, Impassibility, and Joy...... 829

44 God’s Moral Excellence, Part 4: Wrath and Compassion................ 852

45 The Trinity, Part 1: Biblical Teaching.................................................... 876

46 The Trinity, Part 2: Historical Development........................................ 902

47 The Trinity, Part 3: Theological and Practical Considerations . . .929

Section B: The Doctrine of God’s Sovereign Purpose

48 The Decree of God: General Considerations........................................ 957

49 Predestination, Part 1: Election and Reprobation.............................. 979

50 Predestination, Part 2: Historical Development through

Reformed Orthodoxy............................................................................... 1000

51 Predestination, Part 3: Questions and Uses...................................... 1031

52 God’s Providence, Part 1: Biblical Teaching....................................... 1058

53 God’s Providence, Part 2: Problems and Applications................... 1081

Section C: The Doctrine of Angels and Demons

54 The Holy Angels of God......................................................................... 1109

55 Satan and the Demons............................................................................. 1133

Bibliography......................................................................................................... 1159

General Index....................................................................................................... 1215

Scripture Index.................................................................................................... 1245
    "

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. bookslover

Yes, of four.

13. bookslover

I'm now impatiently waiting for the arrival of Volume 2 - in about a year from now! LOL

14. lynnie

lynnie Puritan Board Senior

We got it last night. I didn't start reading it yet.

I was actually disappointed because I was picturing a better version of Grudem, ie, something more accessible for laymen with better theology in some areas. This looks daunting to most people I would think, except to look up some special topic.

Well, maybe time to pray that people change their reading habits. No point wanting to dumb down books.

15. Reformed Bookworm

If you don't mind me asking, what appears daunting about it?

16. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

Guessing it might have something to do with it being 1312 pages...for volume 1:book2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Reformed Bookworm

Makes sense. It can look intimidating. I think those reservations will subside once people start reading it. In typical Dr. Beeke fashion, it is warmly written, easy to digest, and a treasure of great quotes.

18. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Such a book would be most welcome. Wayne Grudem's is the best modern systematic theology in terms of presentation, though, from a Reformed point of view, some of the author's positions are highly problematic.

19. Reformed Covenanter

Is Dr Beeke's co-author still a Baptist?

20. Reformed Bookworm

Paul Smalley, yes. He is his teaching assistant.

21. Reformed Covenanter

Then how can it be a Reformed systematic theology? Sacramentology is pretty important to Reformed theology.

• Like Like x 2
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  22. TheInquirer

How big is the type? Similar to his other large books? (I can't tell from the Amazon preview)

Questions I have when you guys are able to answer:

• How would you compare this with Berkhof and A'Brakel as far as depth and precision on each topic?
    • How much space is given to application?
    • What do you think Beeke offers in this work that other Reformed systematicians do not?
    Thanks in advance - I am genuinely making an effort to cut down on my impulse book buying addiction.

23. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Sophomore

Although I have gotten better myself, I still find that the leopard can more easily change his spots...

24. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Even though I haven't read this book, I've read most of Beeke's works (which means I've probably already read 200 pages of this book). I think I can guess an answer:

1. Berkhof is probably far more precise. That was Berkhof's strength. Probably similar to A'Brakel since Beeke seems to deliberately aim for that tradition.

2. Lots, I'd imagine.

3. Dutch 2nd Reformation.

25. bookslover

If you would like a taste of Beeke and Smalley, check out the post, "Historical Theology," at my blog listed in my signature. It's currently the top post. It's good (both the post and the blog, heh).

26. Reformed Covenanter

Will these volumes be available as PDFs? Given the point that Jacob has alluded to about the Dutch Further Reformation, I suspect that there might be a lot of quotations from previously untranslated Dutch primary sources. If so, that might entice me to read through it. :coffee:

27. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Puritan Board Junior

I think this is an important point. For me, Beeke is very helpful in showing that the Dutch 2nd Reformation had esentially the same emphasis as British Puritanism.

28. TheInquirer

Thanks for the response gents. Beeke is an impressive guy and I love what he is trying to do. We need more experimental preachers in the pulpit who are also deeply theological. My heart certainly longs for it.

Ha! Sure feels like it. What’s worse is my wife completely supports my habit :)

29. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Puritan Board Junior

That reminds me of a comment by OPC Pastor Carl Trueman regarding one of his former students, now a pastor of a PCA church. Carl said he is "not far from the Kingdom of God". Carl further said of a Baptist pastor, he is "not too far from the kingdom of God", perhaps a little further away :)

30. bookslover

I asked Dr. Beeke that question: since he's Dutch Reformed and Smalley is Reformed Baptist, how will the section on baptism play out? He responded that the two of them have only talked about that once so far but, as it won't be discussed until Volume 4, they have plenty of time to hash that out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List