Joe Morecraft on the uniqueness of WLC Q1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I will be honest, it feels odd posting a quote from a theologian that is still alive. This may be a first for me on here. That admission would probably be a strange sentiment anywhere else besides the Puritan Board.

THE UNIQUENESS OF THE ANSWER: TO GLORIFY AND FULLY TO ENJOY GOD FOREVER

When a person begins his study of Christianity from the perspective of the first question and answer of the Westminster Larger Catechism, he has begun on the most elevated plane possible. “What is the chief and highest end of man?” is a far more comprehensive question than, and takes priority over the question, “What shall I do to be saved?” The Larger Catechism’s Question One forces us to take our eyes off of ourselves, our own comfort and salvation as our primary concern, and to fix them on the God of Glory, bidding us to seek our ultimate purpose and happiness in Him.

If we approach Christianity from the question “What shall I do to be saved?” or “How can I receive comfort and other benefits from Christianity?” we place ourselves in danger of assuming that God exists for our benefit, and that the only reason we should accept Christ and the Bible is because of the benefits we can receive from Him. The Westminster Larger Catechism removes this danger by beginning with, focusing on, and ending in the vision of God in all His glory, and by seeing the purpose of human existence, of salvation, and of all creation as glorifying that great God and enjoying Him forever. “For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen” (Rom. 11:36).

Joseph C. Morecraft III. Authentic Christianity: An Exposition of the Theology and Ethics of the Westminster Larger Catechism. Ed. Kyle Shepherd. Centreville, Alabama: Four Falls Press, Inc. 2019, vol. 1, 96-97.

I just purchased this multi-volume work this afternoon. How have you found this new edition? How is the binding?

I just purchased this multi-volume work this afternoon. How have you found this new edition? How is the binding?

Aesthetically, it is a beautiful set. Each volume is a different color. When the jackets are off, and they are all lined up, it creates a stunning gradient.
The binding is of high quality. It should withstand years of reading.
Kyle did an excellent job in the execution.

That really is a very nice job and not one normally seen (uniformity is usually the thing). And I'm all for redeeming / improving prior editions!

Agreed. I will be honest; I cringed a little about the different colors when they first gave them to me. It wasn't until I took the jackets off and lined them up on my shelf that I fully appreciated the gradient effect. They truly did a fantastic job.

Agreed. I will be honest; I cringed a little about the different colors when they first gave them to me. It wasn't until I took the jackets off and lined them up on my shelf that I fully appreciated the gradient effect. They truly did a fantastic job.
I appreciate good design when I see it; just am not good at creating it. I spent all last year and into this year pestering my rep for the NPSE "look" with various questions. Still some open ones but for good or ill the design is set.

The old edition was poorly put together in my opinion. Unpleasant binding and layout (strangely large font which seemed to inflate the volume number). Glad it's been improved.

The old edition was poorly put together in my opinion. Unpleasant binding and layout (strangely large font which seemed to inflate the volume number). Glad it's been improved.
I recently talked to an individual involved with the first set. They acknowledged the first set's quality was subpar, and they did the best within their means.

I will be honest, it feels odd posting a quote from a theologian that is still alive. This may be a first for me on here. That admission would probably be a strange sentiment anywhere else besides the Puritan Board.

THE UNIQUENESS OF THE ANSWER: TO GLORIFY AND FULLY TO ENJOY GOD FOREVER

When a person begins his study of Christianity from the perspective of the first question and answer of the Westminster Larger Catechism, he has begun on the most elevated plane possible. “What is the chief and highest end of man?” is a far more comprehensive question than, and takes priority over the question, “What shall I do to be saved?” The Larger Catechism’s Question One forces us to take our eyes off of ourselves, our own comfort and salvation as our primary concern, and to fix them on the God of Glory, bidding us to seek our ultimate purpose and happiness in Him.

If we approach Christianity from the question “What shall I do to be saved?” or “How can I receive comfort and other benefits from Christianity?” we place ourselves in danger of assuming that God exists for our benefit, and that the only reason we should accept Christ and the Bible is because of the benefits we can receive from Him. The Westminster Larger Catechism removes this danger by beginning with, focusing on, and ending in the vision of God in all His glory, and by seeing the purpose of human existence, of salvation, and of all creation as glorifying that great God and enjoying Him forever. “For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen” (Rom. 11:36).

Joseph C. Morecraft III. Authentic Christianity: An Exposition of the Theology and Ethics of the Westminster Larger Catechism. Ed. Kyle Shepherd. Centreville, Alabama: Four Falls Press, Inc. 2019, vol. 1, 96-97.

In the first edition (2009) that excerpt from volume 1 is on page 116. What a difference font size makes!

I just ordered the set myself. For what I had to pay for shipping, they'd better be here by last week. Heh.

Did they ever send you confirmation of your order via email or anything? I’m concerned that they can’t ship orders because of all this pandemic mess. I haven’t heard from them, and there is no number to call or even an email to contact.

Did they ever send you confirmation of your order via email or anything? I’m concerned that they can’t ship orders because of all this pandemic mess. I haven’t heard from them, and there is no number to call or even an email to contact.
I looked around and you are right. For as expensive a set as this, that is not particularly smart marketing. Maybe try [email protected]?

Yes, I got an email confirmation, which ended up in my spam folder. Check there. The site for the Morecraft set says that they mail every Monday.

I can ask the gentleman behind the publisher. We have a dialogue going already.

It is weird that, at both sites (the Four Falls Press site and the site for the books themselves), there is no street address, no mailing address, no email address, no phone number - nothing. If something goes wrong, they've got your money but you have absolutely no way to contact them.

It is weird that, at both sites (the Four Falls Press site and the site for the books themselves), there is no street address, no mailing address, no email address, no phone number - nothing. If something goes wrong, they've got your money but you have absolutely no way to contact them.

I thought that was extremely odd. So odd, in fact, that the only reasons I bought the books are 1) I know they exist and 2) I want them that badly. If it had been any other book, I would’ve been spooked by their sketchy websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back