Job knew the Mediator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
In some translations of Job 16:19-21, it is translated such that Job is speaking of an advocate (that is, Jesus) pleading his cause to God, while others translate it as Job hoping for such an advocate between God and man. I have two questions. (1) Which of these translations is better and why? (2) If you were going to explain simply to someone how Job could know Jesus, even Jesus as Mediator back in the OT before His incarnation, how would you explain it?

A literal translation of v21 would be "and he will settle quarrels for man with God, as a son of Adam/man for his neighbor." Most of the translations take the imperfect (translated as "will settle quarrels") as a subjunctive/jussive and make that "that he might..."

NET translates it "he contends with God" but that would assume that this is a waw consecutive, which isn't what BHS says. The NET translation notes simply indicate that it could be translated the way all of the other translations do it. I don't see any justification for this interpretation, so I would follow everybody else.

My guess here is that Job isn't consciously aware of Jesus in the full way that our minds quickly jump to him when we read this text. Job has talked about his need for a mediator, wishing that somebody would stand up in heaven and argue his case before God. By the time we get to 19:25 Job is confident that somehow a kinsman redeemer will rise up and defend him. Does he have full knowledge of the Trinity? Probably not, but in his providence God has preserved a testimony to himself in Job's cry. Job is looking for a kinsman redeemer to be his mediator, to plead for him in heaven, and wouldn't you know it, that is exactly what he has.

Job sure seemed to have some insight into Messiah the Prince by his proclamation.
Job 19:25    For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
Job 19:26    And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
Job 19:27    Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back