Jews for Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Loriann
Originally posted by tcalbrecht

Are you speaking of a physical lamb at the meal?

YES, THEy are taking the physical lamb and replacing with another kind of meat.

Why would any Christian want to participate in a ceremony that uses shadowy, old covenant images for Christ?

Christ gave to His church a sensible way of remembering His sacrifice. It's called the Lord's Supper. Through the image of bread and wine we remember what He did for His church. "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

In this age, to continue to try to represent Christ in a slain lamb is an abomination.

Tom,

Partaking of the LORDS Supper... notice, supper, a dinner, Christ gave the command AT the passover! and notice, it was ONLY then that He did command! And he said "As often as ye do this..." do what? partake. WE DO eat of the Lord's supper (the bread and wine) at the passover. It's NOT going back under law. But thank you for your concerns.

Why WOULDN'T someone participate in the way the Lord administered thereof?

Lori

Tom,

Partaking of the LORDS Supper... notice, supper, a dinner, Christ gave the command AT the passover! and notice, it was ONLY then that He did command! And he said "As often as ye do this..." do what? partake. WE DO eat of the Lord's supper (the bread and wine) at the passover. It's NOT going back under law. But thank you for your concerns.

Lori

Well, obviously if you continue to use a dead animal as a picture, then you are living under the shadow of the old covenant. Bloody animal images were part and parcel with that covenant. This covenant passed away in favor of the new (Heb. 8:13). The blood image we recall today is pictured by the cup of wine. "Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.'" Jesus institutued His continuing sacrament of bread and wine, as testified by Paul in 1 Cor. 11. There is no further evidence that the apostolic church included animal sacrifices in the communion meal. In fact to do so is a denial of Christ's finish work. That's why unbelieving Jews continue to do it. But Christians do not.

On Matt. 26:26, Calvin wrote:
"And while they were eating, Jesus took bread. I do not understand these words to mean that with the paschal supper was mixed this new and more excellent supper, but rather that an end was then put to the former banquet. This is still more clearly expressed by Luke, when he says that, Christ gave the cup after that he had supped; for it would have been absurd that one and the same mystery should be broken off by an interval of time. And therefore I have no doubt that, in immediate succession, after having distributed the bread, he added the cup; and what Luke relates particularly respecting the cup, I regard as including also the bread. While they were eating, therefore, Christ took bread, to invite them to partake of a new supper. The thanksgiving was a sort of preparation and transition to consider the mystery. Thus when the supper was ended, they tasted the sacred bread and wine; because Christ had previously aroused them from their indifference, that they might be all alive to so lofty a mystery. And, indeed, the nature of the case demands that this clear testimony of the spiritual life should be distinguished from the ancient shadow."

[Edited on 6-14-2005 by tcalbrecht]

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
Tom,

Lori

Well, obviously if you continue to use a dead animal as a picture, then you are living under the shadow of the old covenant. Bloody animal images were part and parcel with that covenant. This covenant passed away in favor of the new (Heb. 8:13). The blood image we recall today is pictured by the cup of wine. "Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.'" Jesus institutued His continuing sacrament of bread and wine, as testified by Paul in 1 Cor. 11. There is no further evidence that the apostolic church included animal sacrifices in the communion meal. In fact to do so is a denial of Christ's finish work. That's why unbelieving Jews continue to do it. But Christians do not.

On Matt. 26:26, Calvin wrote:
"And while they were eating, Jesus took bread. I do not understand these words to mean that with the paschal supper was mixed this new and more excellent supper, but rather that an end was then put to the former banquet. This is still more clearly expressed by Luke, when he says that, Christ gave the cup after that he had supped; for it would have been absurd that one and the same mystery should be broken off by an interval of time. And therefore I have no doubt that, in immediate succession, after having distributed the bread, he added the cup; and what Luke relates particularly respecting the cup, I regard as including also the bread. While they were eating, therefore, Christ took bread, to invite them to partake of a new supper. The thanksgiving was a sort of preparation and transition to consider the mystery. Thus when the supper was ended, they tasted the sacred bread and wine; because Christ had previously aroused them from their indifference, that they might be all alive to so lofty a mystery. And, indeed, the nature of the case demands that this clear testimony of the spiritual life should be distinguished from the ancient shadow."

[Edited on 6-14-2005 by tcalbrecht]

:amen: Um this reminds me of Acts and Galatians (the Judaizers were heretics) :book2: and Paul's response works for me. I found Judaism empty and dead (sort of like the PCUSA as a matter of fact.... :pilgrim:) from a very early age and what point is there to animating zombies (unless one is playing D&D):deadhorse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back