Jesus' approach to Gentiles in Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
I'm making my way through Matthew and have come to the healing of the Canaanite woman's daughter where Jesus initially denies her request twice. One denial he tells her "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matt. 15:24) This struck me as odd since, from what I can tell, he interacted favorably with Gentiles before.
1. Magi travel to worship him at his birth.
2. He heals the Centurion's servant (second miracle recorded in Matthew)
3. He heals the Gadarene men possessed by demons (Matt. 8:28)
4. His healing of many was to fulfill prophecy regarding justice coming to the Gentiles (Matt. 12:18)

These examples run counter to his instruction to the apostles to not go among the Gentiles (Matt. 10:5-6). I understand this purpose is to first preach to Israel so that they may reject the messiah in order for salvation to come to the Gentiles to make Israel jealous (Rom. 11:11).

The interaction with the Canaanite woman seems to coincide with this mission. Were the previous Gentile encounters exceptions?

I do find it interesting that after telling this woman that he has only come to the house of Israel, he does heal her daughter after he sees her faith. This comes directly after an interaction with the Pharisees' lack of faith. I wonder if this was the first explicit example of salvation coming to the Gentiles to make Israel jealous.

What Jesus said was to draw out her faith and make it visible. It does not signal an aversion to the Gentiles. The promise made to Abraham that his seed would be a blessing to the nations was always part of Jesus' plan. So the earlier blessings to the Gentiles are most certainly not incidental or the exception.

Persistent faith is especially noteworthy. This is seen several places in Luke (Luke 11:5-10; Luke 18:1-8), but is also present elsewhere in Matthew (Matthew 20:30-34), and can be seen throughout Scripture. Think of the "Let me go" comment to Jacob in Genesis 32:26, which actually is an invitation to keep clinging in faith. Given the context in Matthew which you mention, that's most likely what Jesus is doing with the woman in Matthew 15. Far from being a dismissal of the Gentiles, the point is to show that the Gentiles are coming to Christ with a faith reminiscent of Israel himself.

John Gill: "Ik ben niet gezonden, maar tot de verloren schapen van het huis van Israël; als priester, of als Redder en Verlosser, werd hij gezonden om genoegdoening en verzoening te doen voor de zonden van al Gods uitverkorenen, en om eeuwige verlossing te verkrijgen en redding voor hen allen, of het nu Joden of heidenen zijn; maar als een profeet, in de uitvoering van zijn eigen persoonlijke bediening, werd hij door zijn Vader alleen tot de Joden gezonden; hij was de "dienaar van de besnijdenis", Romeinen 15: 8 dat wil zeggen een dienaar van de besneden Joden; hij werd alleen gezonden om hun het evangelie te prediken en wonderen onder hen te doen, als bewijs van zijn Messiasschap; en toen zij hem verwierpen, zouden zijn apostelen onder de Heidenen, maar hijzelf werd alleen naar de Joden gezonden, hier aangeduid als "de verloren schapen van het huis van Israël": door "het huis van Israël",wordt bedoeld het hele lichaam van de Joodse natie, zo genoemd vanuit Israël, de naam van hun vader Jakob, van wie ze zijn voortgekomen.

Luister ook naar Baruch Korman over de vrouw van Kanaän met de door een duivel gekwelde dochter:

Last edited:
John Gill: "Ik ben niet gezonden, maar tot de verloren schapen van het huis van Israël; als priester, of als Redder en Verlosser, werd hij gezonden om genoegdoening en verzoening te doen voor de zonden van al Gods uitverkorenen, en om eeuwige verlossing te verkrijgen en redding voor hen allen, of het nu Joden of heidenen zijn; maar als een profeet, in de uitvoering van zijn eigen persoonlijke bediening, werd hij door zijn Vader alleen tot de Joden gezonden; hij was de "dienaar van de besnijdenis", Romeinen 15: 8 dat wil zeggen een dienaar van de besneden Joden; hij werd alleen gezonden om hun het evangelie te prediken en wonderen onder hen te doen, als bewijs van zijn Messiasschap; en toen zij hem verwierpen, zouden zijn apostelen onder de Heidenen, maar hijzelf werd alleen naar de Joden gezonden, hier aangeduid als "de verloren schapen van het huis van Israël": door "het huis van Israël",wordt bedoeld het hele lichaam van de Joodse natie, zo genoemd vanuit Israël, de naam van hun vader Jakob, van wie ze zijn voortgekomen.

Luister ook naar Baruch Korman over de vrouw van Kanaän met de door een duivel gekwelde dochter:
@Aretha, please translate your post to English as it is unintelligible to at least most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back