James Stuart Russell the heretic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I listened to a sermon by Barry Horner last night and he called James Stuart Russell a heretic.

I never finished Parousia, but I am curious if you think the same of Russell?

If Russell is a heretic, are all hyper preterists heretical?

If so, why?

I listened to a sermon by Barry Horner last night and he called James Stuart Russell a heretic.

I never finished Parousia, but I am curious if you think the same of Russell?

If Russell is a heretic, are all hyper preterists heretical?

If so, why?

The key problem is a denial of a future physical resurrection.

One potential take on the issue...

John Noe's book, "The Apocalypse Conspiracy: Why the World May Not End As Soon As You Think and What You Should Be Doing in the Meantime" points out that the Greek text in the NT passage that mentions Jesus going back up into the sky, and the angels saying that Jesus will return in like manner, CAN be literally interpreted from the Greek, as meaning..(to paraphrase), that "Jesus comes and goes in the manner you have just seen". That concept coupled with the idea throughout Scripture that coming on "clouds" means coming with "judgment", (an idea shared by most Partial Preterists), could shed a much different light on the Biblical "evidence" for a physical 2nd Coming of Jesus.

I am NOT saying I agree with Noe's book or premise, but just saying it is a literal Greek reading possibility.
So in dealing with this issue, one must carefully examine the literal Greek meanings of the key passages that appear to point to a physical 2nd Coming of Jesus.

I read his book, or at least most of it, last year when I was studying the book of Revelation mostly because I noticed that anyone who knows much about end times has read the book. It is a good synopsis of preterism and an early dating of the book of Revelation. But he does go to far in certain areas being a full preterist and believing that all of what was spoken of by Jesus was fulfilled by 70 A.D. including the resurrection and Second Coming. But if you can read it knowing this and are not going to be taken in by it it is worth the read.

I read his book, or at least most of it, last year when I was studying the book of Revelation mostly because I noticed that anyone who knows much about end times has read the book. It is a good synopsis of preterism and an early dating of the book of Revelation. But he does go to far in certain areas being a full preterist and believing that all of what was spoken of by Jesus was fulfilled by 70 A.D. including the resurrection and Second Coming. But if you can read it knowing this and are not going to be taken in by it it is worth the read.

Very true...

I got my copy of Noe's book believe it or not, at the RTS (Reformed Theological Seminary) Orlando, back when it was at its old location in Maitland, Florida. It was at their book store there. I talked to the at the time book store manager about the book, and he said he ordered it to have something "controversial" to stir up some debate about the issues. It is indeed that....

A future bodily resurection is also universally proclaimed by the major Catholic creeds, any denial of this tenant is almost by definition heretical. I Corinthians 15 is fairly clear on the matter and even if someone can come up with some clever argument the Creeds leave no doubt that such arguments are heretical.

The Apostles Creed

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

The Nicene Creed

And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

The Athanasian Creed

He ascended into heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God Almighty; From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies; And shall give account of their own works.

Of course our own confessions are also clear on this subject as well (WCF Chapter XXXII).

II. At the last day, such as are found alive shall not die, but be changed: and all the dead shall be raised up with the self-same bodies, and none other, although with different qualities, which shall be united again to their souls forever.

Hyper preterism is really just another form of Gnostisism and should be treated as such,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back