James Durham on the personal properties of the Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
If any should wrangle for the expressions that are used by Divines in this Mystery; we confess that many of the Schoolmen have exceeded, and have taken too much liberty in this wonderful Mystery; yet, it is the thing that we especially should be established into, and from Scripture that is clear, that there is but One God, and yet Three, who being denominated in the concrete, must imply three different real Relations, or Subsistences, or Persons: and this Essence being infinite and communicable, there is no warrant to bound it to the rules and properties of created beings, who are but finite; and in that respect also incommunicable: ...

For more, see James Durham on the personal properties of the Trinity.

If any should wrangle for the expressions that are used by Divines in this Mystery; we confess that many of the Schoolmen have exceeded, and have taken too much liberty in this wonderful Mystery; yet, it is the thing that we especially should be established into, and from Scripture that is clear, that there is but One God, and yet Three, who being denominated in the concrete, must imply three different real Relations, or Subsistences, or Persons: and this Essence being infinite and communicable, there is no warrant to bound it to the rules and properties of created beings, who are but finite; and in that respect also incommunicable: ...

For more, see James Durham on the personal properties of the Trinity.

This touches on matters I am now thinking through.

I find it painful to try to think of God in terms of essence, properties, qualities, etc. Tried it this last week, and I left my meditations feeling confused, unmoved, and distant. If I understand Durham, they are good distinctions for apologetical reasons, but this way of viewing God isn't representative of the way we devotionally approach Him.

I can't imagine talking about my wife in terms of essence, subsistence, nature and qualities. I could say many true things, but it'd all be impersonal. But then again, no one propogates Trinitarian heresies concerning her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back