James Begg on the civil government’s duty to support the truth of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... We are totally opposed to indiscriminate endowments of truth and falsehood, and the difference between the two motions—although it is a very wide difference after all—is this, that in the one motion a decided opinion is given upon the present state of matters and the political questions involved—an opinion, as I think, unwise and inconsistent with our principles; while in the other motion principles are stated, but an attempt is made to prevent our Church from assuming a mere party and political aspect by giving any unwise opinion as to the practical application of our principles, to the very difficult circumstances in which Ireland is placed, beyond this, that the Government is bound to support the truth of God in that land.

It is maintained on the other side that there is no alternative on the part of the Government, but either to support all bodies or to support none; and it is inferred that since it is better to support none than to support all, we ought to give it forth as our opinion, that this is the alternative which the statesmen of our country should at present adopt. Now, this is plausible but fallacious, for, in the first place, I do not admit that we are driven to any such alternative as this of supporting all or supporting none—(hear, hear)—I do not think we are entitled to tell statesmen that that is the alternative to which they are driven, or ever can be driven. (Hear, hear.)

For my part I cannot see that, as men interpreting the Word of God, we are ever entitled to say to statesmen that they are put, or can be put, into a position in which they have merely to choose between two evils, the promotion of truth and falsehood alike, or an entire abstinence from any support of the cause of Christ. There is surely always a third alternative, viz., to do what is right. ...

For more, see James Begg on the civil government’s duty to support the truth of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back