J. C. Ryle on the Revised Version as a triumph for Christian orthodoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
While J. C. Ryle was not uncritical in his praise of the Revised Version, nor did he want it to replace the Authorised Version in public worship, he did recognise the strengths of this translation:

... But the main reason for thankfulness about the Revised Version, which I commend to the attention of my clergy, is the glorious testimony which it bears to the soundness of the whole doctrinal system of Christianity. After ten years of patient and diligent investigation, after careful examination of versions and manuscripts not known 250 years ago, after the united labour of the ablest committee of Biblical scholars that could be got together, after all this, the Revised Version comes forth from the crucible without the loss of a single doctrine of our most holy faith; let me rather say with every doctrine more fully established than ever. Who does not know that many of the enemies of Christianity in this land have made the alleged defects of our Authorized Version the chief ground of their attacks on the Gospel? ‘Give us a new translation,’ they have often cried, ‘and you will see what will become of your favourite dogmas.’

The Revised Version supplies a crushing answer to all these assailants. The New Testament has been translated once more by men whose competency none can dispute. And what is the result? Not a single stone in the fabric of Christian truth has been disturbed! The Trinity, the proper Deity of Christ, the personality of the Holy Ghost, and the atonement, remain just where they were, and are even more clearly brought out than before. For all this, I ask you to join me in thanking, blessing, and praising God. We may boldly say, ‘Thy Word is truth.’ ‘Thy Word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.’ (John xvii. 17; Ps. cxix. 140.) ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back