Ivy Leaguer 'infiltrates' Falwell's University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. The hypocrisy of the LU students makes me want to :banghead: but this new found interest in God (or "a god" at least) is intriguing. I'll pray for his salvation.

Andrew, their hypocrisy is no different than any other Christian college, or sadly, seminary.

The authour shows up in A.J. Jacobs recent book "the Year of Living Biblicaly" as Jacobs intern.

I just finished the Jacobs book, and I look forward to reading Kevin's.

I'm just impressed with Andrew's infiltration of a Law School, and look forward to reading of his future covert operations within the Legal Profession.

You've got to be kidding. :p

Law school is infinitely better than undergrad, liberalism or not.

The law school population is concentrated so everybody pretty much has to deal with everyone else on some level. In undergrad, you only had to deal with other people within your major, which really didn't involve much then because you could choose not to deal with them outside of class. You're stuck here.

People are a lot more intelligent here on the average. There are a few pretty dim light bulbs, but they either get themselves kicked out, drop out, or don't hang around the school much because the don't really study.

My school also has a fairly healthy mix of conservatives with the liberals. On the whole, there are more liberals, but many of them are actually pretty consistent and don't toe the party line. They recognize that some arguments are illogical or otherwise wrong or weak, and really don't die on those hills. Don't ever contest global warming though because you'll start a riot, which is why I make it a point to mock the theory and the cooler temperatures outside. :)

The conservatives are, surprise surprise surprise, mostly libertarians and other stripes of paleo-conservatives. Neo-conservatism and ole' George W. are rejected categorically, and we actually get a long pretty well with the more vocal liberal students. We each respect that the other has an opinion, albeit a different one, and that we can civilly disagree about how we think government should work. Both sides usually recognize, I think, that the current Republican party is not conservative, but largely liberal with socially conservative leanings.

This is an extreme contrast to undergrad where both the liberals and conservatives toed the party line and regurgitated whatever Bill O'reilly or Keith Olbermann said the night before. A political science class was an exercise in futility because the conservatives weren't conservatives, and the liberals just yelled a lot and threw a conniption fit if you disagreed with them.

The environment is undeniably secular though, but you really wouldn't suspect any different at a state university. People know where I stand and only one person ever engages me about it and he's a friend of mine. My views really, really make him angry.

Very interesting. The hypocrisy of the LU students makes me want to :banghead: but this new found interest in God (or "a god" at least) is intriguing. I'll pray for his salvation.

Where were they hypocritical? Where were they pretending to be one thing, but did another? I am sure he found sin there, but I don't read him as saying they were hypocrites.

They signed a contract when they went to Liberty that they would not engage in certain activities and thus acted as though they didn't in certain company. This is why they had their fair share of sinful fun with locked dorm rooms.

Then again, I knew of this rampant problem of hypocrisy at LU anyway. I know folks who have gone/go there and have read a large number of reviews (since I once considered going there), and their input is very disheartening to me. This is the same with most if not all Christian schools, but that doesn't lift my spirits in any way :p

There are a myriad of reasons students go to Liberty, so I guess I think very little of them watching an R rated movie in locked room and hardly think that makes them "hypocrites", pretending to be one thing, but really another, i.e. a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Perhaps I am just all too cognizant of my own "hypocrisy", even doing that which I don't want to do, to run off and declare them hypocrites for breaking (ironically named) Liberty's rules.

"As a responsible American citizen, I couldn't just ignore the fact that there are a lot of Christian college students out there," said Roose, 21, now a Brown senior. "If I wanted my education to be well-rounded, I had to branch out and include these people that I just really had no exposure to."

As an aside, knowing the level of insight, wisdom, and life experience that is bestowed on those 21 years of age (ahem...) it strikes me as indicative of the undiscerning and entertainment oriented mindset of our culture that anyone would bother to read and/or publish a book written by a 21 year old kid who has not even finished his undergrad degree. Such is the sensationalism of our "American Idol" and reality T.V. show culture.

Seth,

Isn't this sort of what you're doing? A reformed guy infiltrating Biola? Can we expect an expose in the Chalcedon Report (or whatever that thing is called)? :lol:

"As a responsible American citizen, I couldn't just ignore the fact that there are a lot of Christian college students out there," said Roose, 21, now a Brown senior. "If I wanted my education to be well-rounded, I had to branch out and include these people that I just really had no exposure to."

As an aside, knowing the level of insight, wisdom, and life experience that is bestowed on those 21 years of age (ahem...) it strikes me as indicative of the undiscerning and entertainment oriented mindset of our culture that anyone would bother to read and/or publish a book written by a 21 year old kid who has not even finished his undergrad degree. Such is the sensationalism of our "American Idol" and reality T.V. show culture.

Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein when she was 19. Great example, eh? :lol:

-----Added 4/23/2009 at 05:35:17 EST-----

Seth,

Isn't this sort of what you're doing? A reformed guy infiltrating Biola? Can we expect an expose in the Chalcedon Report (or whatever that thing is called)? :lol:

Haha! Too true, Jon! I may write something for the Confessional Presbyterian after I graduate. :lol:

Yes, much better choice in my opinion.

Just in case anyone cares, I started reading this during my lunch breaks last week. I finished it today. I found it really excellent. I thought the author's observations about christian culture were, in some ways, quite profound. Having grown up immersed in christian culture, it was really interesting for me to see an outsider's perspective/observations. I would recommend it. :)

Just in case anyone cares, I started reading this during my lunch breaks last week. I finished it today. I found it really excellent. I thought the author's observations about christian culture were, in some ways, quite profound. Having grown up immersed in christian culture, it was really interesting for me to see an outsider's perspective/observations. I would recommend it. :)

Good to know. I am going to try to read this over my summer break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back