It's Still Greek to Me (David Alan Black)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Black, David Alan. It's Still Greek to Me: An Easy-to-Understand Guide to Intermediate Greek. Baker Books, 2004.

This is exactly what it advertises itself to be: it is a refresher guide to those students who have had at least two semesters of NT Greek. More importantly, though, it explains how language works. More importantly, the English language. This book could function as an English grammar. If you don’t know English, then Greek syntax will break you. To begin with, you must be willing to walk through the fire for English grammar. I write as an English teacher. (Nota Bene: Common Core strongly discourages teaching Grammar on the secondary level. This is the government's wisdom, may it live forever) This book might help you.

As noted above, David Alan Black assumes knowledge of first year Greek. There are diagrams at the back of the book, but usually not in the chapters. Each chapter ends with Greek exercises (sentences you should translate into English. A key is found at the back of the book). He expects you to know it. I found the following particularly helpful:

1. He gives detailed analyses of genitive and dative cases.

2.The “Tale of 12 Mice” cartoon. This explains how prepositions work. (Google it).

3. The differences between Koine and Classical Greek, and the Semitisms present in the former, for example:

NT Semitisms (Black 151-153)

* Word order (verbs tend to come verse)
* asyndeton (absence of a conjunction)
* Redundant pronouns
* Redundant use of prepositions
* Use of the positive adjective for the comparative or superlative.
* Redundant use of “saying.”
* Introductory egeneto
* Future indicative used as an imperative
* The use of idiou (“Behold”)

The book concludes with bibliographical suggestions.

Black, David Alan. It's Still Greek to Me: An Easy-to-Understand Guide to Intermediate Greek. Baker Books, 2004.

This is exactly what it advertises itself to be: it is a refresher guide to those students who have had at least two semesters of NT Greek. More importantly, though, it explains how language works. More importantly, the English language. This book could function as an English grammar. If you don’t know English, then Greek syntax will break you. To begin with, you must be willing to walk through the fire for English grammar. I write as an English teacher. (Nota Bene: Common Core strongly discourages teaching Grammar on the secondary level. This is the government's wisdom, may it live forever) This book might help you.

As noted above, David Alan Black assumes knowledge of first year Greek. There are diagrams at the back of the book, but usually not in the chapters. Each chapter ends with Greek exercises (sentences you should translate into English. A key is found at the back of the book). He expects you to know it. I found the following particularly helpful:

1. He gives detailed analyses of genitive and dative cases.

2.The “Tale of 12 Mice” cartoon. This explains how prepositions work. (Google it).

3. The differences between Koine and Classical Greek, and the Semitisms present in the former, for example:

NT Semitisms (Black 151-153)

* Word order (verbs tend to come verse)
* asyndeton (absence of a conjunction)
* Redundant pronouns
* Redundant use of prepositions
* Use of the positive adjective for the comparative or superlative.
* Redundant use of “saying.”
* Introductory egeneto
* Future indicative used as an imperative
* The use of idiou (“Behold”)

The book concludes with bibliographical suggestions.
Would you recommend it over the intermediate Greek Grammar by Dr Wallace then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back