Isaiah 4 the renewal of Zion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Foo

Puritan Board Freshman
Dear brothers and sisters

Hi, in my Bible reading today, I come across Isaiah 4. It has reference to 'Jerusalem' and those in 'Zion'.

If i were to interpret it correctly, this passage points to the future restoration of the people of God, i.e., the last days.

My question is, to what extent does Isaiah 4 be generalized to all believers in Christ? Can it be literally interpreted as according to Dispensationalism that the ethnic Jew will be those who will inherit the literal blessing of Isaiah 4?

Thank you =)

From a reading of the New Testament it is clear that "Israel after the flesh" (I Corinthians 10:18) has not been wholly cut off by God, but there has always been a remnant of believers among them in keeping with His Covenant promises to them (Romans 9-11). The Gentile believers are grafted in among them, enjoying spiritual and ecclesiastical equality with them (Ephesians 2) and together they are called the Israel of God (Galatians 6:16) or New Testament Church. There are indications that at some point in history the Jewish people as a whole will become a Christian nation ( Rom. 11; Matt 23:39; Luke 19:38 ). I think Isaiah 4 is speaking about the Israel of God - both Jewish and Gentile believers - generally, but read the standard Reformed commentaries on it: Calvin, Henry, JFB, Gill, Poole, etc. These are online.

Many Reformed men who reject Dispensationalism as an error, have believed and believe today, that the unbelieving mass of Jewry will one day be converted. See e.g. "The Puritan Hope" by Iain Murray, which also explains how Dispensationalism arose in the 1830s "muddying the waters" of this area of Bible study.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back