ISAIAH 34 "HELL: NOT A FIGMENT OF IMAGINATION"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Puritan Board Freshman
:mad:

"For My sword shall be bathed in heaven; Indeed it shall come down on Edom, And on the people of My curse, for judgment." "“Isaiah 34:5

The world imagines hell, but the scripture gives a vivid depiction of it. It is not a light subject, and must be handled humbly and carefully. Does anyone want to take a look at Isaiah 34 and give insight on it. From all the descriptions therein, I'm assuming it is speaking about hell...

What is the truth about this?

J

Jeremy, I would not take God's punishment on Edom to be hell, though that might ultiamtely be the case. Rather, this would stem from judgment upon the wicked nation for coming against Isreal. God uses nations to judge Israel and then judges those nations for warring against Israel.

If you want to study "hell" I would recommend this work:

http://www.puritanpublications.com/Books/EternityWeighed.htm

Chapter 1 = heaven
Chapter 2 = hell
Chapter 3 = salvation

I'm not sure how you're coming up with this conclusion. When I look at Isaiah 34:1-4 the Lord is addressing...'the earth...and all that is in it.' ...'the indignation of the Lord against all nations...'

Wasn't also Zion a historical place but as prophecy speaking of the city of the Lord, or heaven? Why can't it be said that 'Edom' stands for the wicked world? Have these things happened yet?... 'Its streams shall be turned into pitch, And its dust into brimstone; Its land shall become burning pitch. It shall not be quenched night or day; Its smoke shall ascend forever.' Is. 34:9-10

Humbly spoken, since you are a better man than I. This chapter in Isaiah as a whole seems to be speaking of future judgment on the earth. The next chapter (35) seems to be speaking of 'the narrow way' which leads to life. Is. 35:8-10. It seems like the two ideas are back to back to help us understand what He's talking about.

What is the truth here?

[Edited on 5-20-2005 by Jeremy]

Jeremy wrote:-
Wasn't also Zion a historical place but as prophecy speaking of the city of the Lord, or heaven? Why can't it be said that 'Edom' stands for the wicked world?
I agree, Jeremy.
Isaiah 25, after speaking in wonderful terms of the Marriage Supper of the Lamb, continues (v10):-
'For on this mountain [Mt. Zion] the hand of the Lord shall rest,..........and Moab shall be trampled down under Him, as straw is trampled down for the refuse heap.....etc.

Martin

Originally posted by Jeremy
I'm not sure how you're coming up with this conclusion. When I look at Isaiah 34:1-4 the Lord is addressing...'the earth...and all that is in it.' ...'the indignation of the Lord against all nations...'

Wasn't also Zion a historical place but as prophecy speaking of the city of the Lord, or heaven? Why can't it be said that 'Edom' stands for the wicked world? Have these things happened yet?... 'Its streams shall be turned into pitch, And its dust into brimstone; Its land shall become burning pitch. It shall not be quenched night or day; Its smoke shall ascend forever.' Is. 34:9-10

Humbly spoken, since you are a better man than I. This chapter in Isaiah as a whole seems to be speaking of future judgment on the earth. The next chapter (35) seems to be speaking of 'the narrow way' which leads to life. Is. 35:8-10. It seems like the two ideas are back to back to help us understand what He's talking about.

What is the truth here?

All I can say is,wow.I never would have thought about that.The physical judgment of Edom was like a foresight to the judgment of all lost man at the judgment.Just like all the Old Testament dealing with judgment from God.

This is good stuff.

[Edited on 9-3-2005 by Average Joey]

Originally posted by Average Joey
Originally posted by Jeremy

What is the truth here?

All I can say is,wow.I never would have thought about that.The physical judgment of Edom was like a foresight to the judgment of all lost man at the judgment.Just like all the Old Testament dealing with judgment from God.

This is good stuff.

[Edited on 9-3-2005 by Average Joey]

Preceding my originally quoted text is this,

"And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree." Is. 34:4

This hasn't happened yet as far as I've seen on the news reports.

Sounds like the opening of the sixth seal in Rev. 7:12-14

vs.13 "And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a might wind.

vs.14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places."

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back