Isaiah 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil_M

Puritan Board Freshman
How do Amillennialists view Isaiah 19:18-24's description of the Egyptians and Assyrians worshipping God alongside Israel, and a highway from Egypt to Assyria?

At the end of the chapter, God says "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance."

One can view it either in an eschatological manner, as pointing to a perfect state.

Or, as I prefer, that one sees the "Israel" as being typologically fulfilled not geographically but in the church. But the future (to the OT) is usually represented in concrete terms, as if the physical nation remains concrete and geographical in the Messianic era. But this is plainly not the case.

It is Jesus (who is Israel) that is concrete. And the former enemies of Israel that surround her are pacified in him and by him. The countries of the world are typified by these major entities (of Isaiah's day). Assyria today is no more. There isn't even an identifiable people by that name (although there is an Assyrian Orthodox Church, but this is an ecclesiastical-geographic body, and the name long post-dates any nationality). Syria of that day (or today) is entirely distinct from Assyria of that day. Assyria was once a world power, but it is dust in the wind today.

But the main point is that Israel is not a physical entity any more--neither a nationality nor a state. That is, there may be a country on the map today, but is has zero to do with the Bible, OT or NT. Therefore, this passage cannot refer to any physical highways or altars.

How do Amillennialists view Isaiah 19:18-24's description of the Egyptians and Assyrians worshipping God alongside Israel, and a highway from Egypt to Assyria?

At the end of the chapter, God says "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance."

Bruce is right on it. This theme of the "way" or the highway comes up several times like here in Psalm 35

Isaiah 35
1The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the LORD, and the excellency of our God.

3Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

4Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.

5Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

6Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

7And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

8And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

9No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there:

10And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away
[/quote]

One can view it either in an eschatological manner, as pointing to a perfect state.

Or, as I prefer, that one sees the "Israel" as being typologically fulfilled not geographically but in the church. But the future (to the OT) is usually represented in concrete terms, as if the physical nation remains concrete and geographical in the Messianic era. But this is plainly not the case.

It is Jesus (who is Israel) that is concrete. And the former enemies of Israel that surround her are pacified in him and by him. The countries of the world are typified by these major entities (of Isaiah's day). Assyria today is no more. There isn't even an identifiable people by that name (although there is an Assyrian Orthodox Church, but this is an ecclesiastical-geographic body, and the name long post-dates any nationality). Syria of that day (or today) is entirely distinct from Assyria of that day. Assyria was once a world power, but it is dust in the wind today.

But the main point is that Israel is not a physical entity any more--neither a nationality nor a state. That is, there may be a country on the map today, but is has zero to do with the Bible, OT or NT. Therefore, this passage cannot refer to any physical highways or altars.

If Israel means the church in general, and Egypt and Assyria are types of the new testament gentile church, then verse 23 and 24 should be read in this way:
"In that day shall there be a highway out of the church to the church, and the church shall come into the church, and the church into the church, and the church shall serve with the church. In that day shall the church be the third with the church and with the church, even a blessing in the midst of the land."
This interpretation does make a lot of sense and of course has some very good points in it, however, we do need a more consistent approach. The former chapters talk about the judgment on Egypt and Assyria, if these are understood as the nation of Egypt and Assyria, then these verses should also be the restoration of the nation of Egypt and Assyria. We can find the same case of the judgment and restoration of Tyre in Chapter 25 of Isaiah, it even talks about the hire of her fornication will be holiness to the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back