Not open for further replies.

christiana

Puritan Board Senior
copied from Christianity Today article on calvinism:

We are the Lord's elected few
Let all the rest be damned
Theres room enough in hell for you
We dont want heaven crammed

this is so pitiful, even in jest. wondered if anyone else had seen it and had thoughts?

How about turning it around:

We are better than the rest of you
a life of faith we choose
you're a stupid nincompoop
It is your fault you lose

:p

so I'm not a poet....

Or how about this:

My merit is what sets me free
God he has no choice
He is rather ineffectual you see
and has to heed my voice

:banghead: somebody please stop me

Before we tar and feather Dr. George, please read the quote IN CONTEXT, where it says . . .

The elect are not the elite. There is no place in Calvin's thought for the kind of spiritual snobbery reflected in the old camp-meeting ditty, "We are the Lord's elected few, / let all the rest be damned./ There's room enough in hell for you, / we don't want heaven crammed!" The true Calvinist preaches the gospel promiscuously to all persons everywhere, aware that God alone infallibly knows all those who belong to him.

"John Calvin: Comeback Kid Why the 500-year-old Reformer retains an enthusiastic following today," Timothy George, Christianity Today September 2009, Vol. 53, No. 9.

How about this...

Free will what joy

Man's autonomy is my toy

Christ died for all

Even before the fall

Ask Jesus into your heart

HE needs you give it a start

Calvinists are mean

Their faith is the size of a bean

They think their elect

As for me I'd rather select

Go away meanie clavinist

My Jesus died for all

Now for the Biblical Poem...

A wretched stench in the sight of Him

Look pitiful man your state is grim

Holy, Beautiful, and Most wise

As for me I despise

My hatred for you is ever known

Oh, how sweet your mercy is shown

You've taken this heart of sin

Turned into a lowly grin

My life is yours, My Lord

Thank you for Mercy and your Word

My will and sin focused on destruction

Oh, how sweet your loving instruction

Redeemed from the pit of hell

Now my soul is very well

-----Added 9/23/2009 at 05:22:22 EST-----

Before we tar and feather Dr. George, please read the quote IN CONTEXT, where it says . . .

The elect are not the elite. There is no place in Calvin's thought for the kind of spiritual snobbery reflected in the old camp-meeting ditty, "We are the Lord's elected few, / let all the rest be damned./ There's room enough in hell for you, / we don't want heaven crammed!" The true Calvinist preaches the gospel promiscuously to all persons everywhere, aware that God alone infallibly knows all those who belong to him.

"John Calvin: Comeback Kid Why the 500-year-old Reformer retains an enthusiastic following today," Timothy George, Christianity Today September 2009, Vol. 53, No. 9.

Thanks for putting the quote in context. Though, may I add, there are quite a few non-reformed Christians who have this view of Calvinists.

this is so pitiful, even in jest. wondered if anyone else had seen it and had thoughts?

I don't bother reading Churchianity Today any longer. I stopped about 8 years ago because the majority of the content either provoked anger in me or just left me asking why it was set to print. The adds in the back of the magazine are quite an eyebrow lifter too. I really enjoy those "apostles" and "prophets" that look like fascist dictators in their advertisements.

I believe most postmillers would say we have between 60,000 and 120,000 years to go.

Dewey -- Interesting. I have never heard that before. Any particular reason for this?

Because it's much easier to justify present circumstances when so much time is still left on the clock.

Back in my post-mil days I argued that we had perhaps 10,000 years left. Any number cited is completely arbitrary.

-----Added 9/23/2009 at 07:49:34 EST-----

yes, as i said, even in jrst it is not acceptable.

Even though it was not in jest (I think Josh is right he was actually defending Calvinism against the slur), it's still kind of funny.

What a cool song!

I can't imagine what would possibly be wrong with it.

It's "Christianity Astray". What else is to be expected? :lol::p:lol:

Toni, did you read the context? It was a DEFENSE of Calvinism!!!

If we want to critique CT, go ahead. I have watched it descend from a "fourtnightly journal of evangelical conviction" with a strong theological core to something so trendy that it regularly drives me up a tree. But we do ourselves no favors when we misrepresent, misread, and slander those with whom we disagree. [I suspect that you were going for the laugh since it is so clever a line. My reaction was directed towards those for whom that kind of response would be serious and not for laughs.]

But, on the other hand, it is sooooo much fun. :lol:

[BTW, your "Christianity Astray" reminds me of Barth's dismissive line to Carl F.H. Henry during the Baseler's famous "American tour" when he replied to Henry's identification that he was with "Christianity Today," "Oh, you mean Christianity Yesterday?" I had not heard your line before and intend to use it soon.]

Last edited:
I must ask if you are suggesting i was doing this by posting it here?

Of course not. You saw it, cited it, and invited discussion of the merits of the ditty. I agree with all of the comments made by those slamming it as reductionistic, mean spirited, uncomprehending, etc. The source was rather incidental, particularly since it was a quotation in an article, not purporting to represent the position of the author.

The Bible quotes the devil. That does not make it wrong to read the quotes and invite discussion on a message board like the PB. It would only become a problem if someone cited the words of Satan to Jesus and claimed that Ah Ha! Now we know what the Bible really teaches! :lol:

I only jumped in when the topic shifted to the motives of the author of the article or of Christianity Today for publishing it. In that instance, the context is everything and it would be a slander to a group of Christians to attribute to them things they cite in order to disagree with or condemn as if it were their own positions.

thanks dennis. i should have made the context clearer when posting however. thanks for adding that part.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrczyFvkv8Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrczyFvkv8Q&feature=related[/ame]Joshua's posting of the horrible UTube "Deficient Grace" above somehow led me to the "Free Will Song".

"I give you freeddddooommmmmmm . . . will it be yes or noooooooooo?"

I for one am beyond happy that God did not give me a fair and unadulterated choice! I would end up in hell if He did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back