Is this acceptable words from a pastor on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little girl was drawing a picture. Joel Osteen asked if that was a clown. She replied "no, it's you".

It's interesting, I've noticed (also here in Portugal) how this kind of joke telling and (poor) humour is rather common on some mega churches approach, I wonder if it is a let off your guard kind of thing, it has clearly some marketing effect.

Well, Agreeing with the sentiment that Joel is not a Pastor. In regards to his jokes, when there is no content to your sermon, you have to give the people something for their money.

3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
2 Tim 4:3-4 (ESV)

I like a good joke as much as the next guy, but as my wife tells our kids "this is not the time or place." Sorry to say, but this is just as much a part of my denomination's preaching content on many a Sunday in many an SBC church. :(

To answer the OP, no. This is not acceptable. Why? Osteen doesn't take an approach to the worship of God with reverence and awe.

This kind of stuff makes me sick. Thats about all I can say on the matter. I wonder if they know what they are doing, or if they genuinely think what they're saying is ok?

Christian Joke...:think:

"Who is the wickedest man in the Bible?"....

"Moses, because he broke all 10 commandments at once."
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible?
Samson. He brought the house down.

Why was Goliath so surprised when David hit him with a slingshot?
The thought had never entered his head before.

This fundamentalist Christian couple felt it important to own an
equally fundamentally Christian pet. So, they went shopping. At a
kennel specializing in this particular breed, they found a dog they liked quite a lot. When they asked the dog to fetch the Bible, he did it in a flash. When they instructed him to look up Psalm 23, he complied equally fast, using his paws with dexterity.
They were impressed, purchased the animal, and went home (piously, of course). That night they had friends over. They were so proud of their new fundamentalist dog and his major skills, they called the dog and showed off a little. The friends were impressed, and asked whether the dog was able to do any of the usual dog tricks, as well. This stopped the couple cold, as they hadn't thought about 'normal' tricks. "Well," they said, "let's try this out."
Once more they called out to the dog, and then clearly pronounced the command, "Heel!" Quick as a wink, the dog jumped up, put his paw on the man's forehead, closed his eyes in concentration, and bowed his head.

This fundamentalist Christian couple felt it important to own an
equally fundamentally Christian pet. So, they went shopping. At a
kennel specializing in this particular breed, they found a dog they liked quite a lot. When they asked the dog to fetch the Bible, he did it in a flash. When they instructed him to look up Psalm 23, he complied equally fast, using his paws with dexterity.
They were impressed, purchased the animal, and went home (piously, of course). That night they had friends over. They were so proud of their new fundamentalist dog and his major skills, they called the dog and showed off a little. The friends were impressed, and asked whether the dog was able to do any of the usual dog tricks, as well. This stopped the couple cold, as they hadn't thought about 'normal' tricks. "Well," they said, "let's try this out."
Once more they called out to the dog, and then clearly pronounced the command, "Heel!" Quick as a wink, the dog jumped up, put his paw on the man's forehead, closed his eyes in concentration, and bowed his head.

Okay... but the dog knows his bible, so he can't be a Pentecostal... so what is he?? :think:

This is common in Baptist Churches. Out of the last four Baptist churches I have visited joke telling is part of the service or sermon. Seems like every Baptist pastor tells jokes in the beginning and also during their sermons. (At least Joel had some good jokes compaired to some I hear in church). My wife and I do not like it. But what are you to do when their are no Baptist pastors that are confessional or hold to the Doctrines of Grace.

I occasionally joke in a sermon, but they are never planned. It usually arises when I say a word wrong or something spontaneous. Congregations find things funny that I would never have thought. perhaps it relieves their boredom after putting up with me for 30 minutes :lol:

I'm sure this individual is sincere and well-meaning.

The problem is he is creating dependency on himself and special revelation through unknown tongues/intepretation, rather than on the Holy Spirit speaking through Scripture.

And Scripture says those who would presume to teach God's people will be judged by a higher standard.

I occasionally joke in a sermon, but they are never planned. It usually arises when I say a word wrong or something spontaneous. Congregations find things funny that I would never have thought. perhaps it relieves their boredom after putting up with me for 30 minutes :lol:

Perhaps.

Can't say much about this dude, but I have observed that relevant jokes that are related to the life of the speaker or congregation can help to make a point. What I don't like are "canned" jokes thrown in for effect ....

Proverbs 17:22
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

Does "humor" = "idle"?

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Hey brothers, you guys are proof texting, cut it out. If you want to discuss this then open another thread and discuss it. Explain why you are using and applying these scriptures you are pulling out of context.

Getting upset because Joel Osteen says something heretical is like getting upset that you got wet when you went out in the rain sans an umbrella or rain jacket.

I was just kidding. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't ever tell jokes while preaching. However, they are many times, when things in the Bible are funny (ironic), ie "18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

That's funny I don't care who you are.

Also, real life illustrations and applications can be humorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back