Is the tithe part of the moral law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDM

Puritan Board Junior

A.W. Pink wrote:

In the previous section of this article the attempt was made to show three things: first, that tithing existed among the people of God long before the law was given at Sinai and that in the brief record we have of that early history we learn that Abraham, the father of the faithful, gave tithes unto Melchizedek, the priest of the Most High God, and that Jacob, when he had that revelation from the Lord on his way out to Padan-aram, promised to give a tenth unto God. Second, we saw that when the law was given the tithe was definitely and clearly incorporated in it, but, like almost everything else in that law, Israel neglected it, until, in the days of Malachi, we find Jehovah expressly telling His people that they had robbed Him. In the third place, we found that in the New Testament itself we have both hints and plain teaching that God requires His people to tithe even now, for tithing is not a part of the ceremonial law, it is a part of the moral law.

What about the other tithes in the OT (Leviticus 27:30-33, Deuteronomy 14:22-27, Numbers 18:21-24)? How do these translate into NT terms, and, specifically, regarding cultural differences (i.e., wages vs. agrarianism, taxes, etc.).

Also, should considerations like tithing in the OT used for taxes, governments, welfare, etc. have any bearing on the NT saint's tithe?

A part of me thinks "When the NT saint "tithes" he's not really tithing in the OT sense (i.e., the other tithes), therefore, it is not right that one should claim he is really tithing.... Another part thinks "The tithe principle and practice is there in the OT, but can it be rightly said that it is binding on all peoples in all places (moral law) for an absolute 10%?

Lastly, can all these variables be rightfully summed up as "general equity" (WCF XIX:4) for the NT saint? As many here know, the WCF does not teach the tithe. Incidentally, I have always wondered why it does not if tithing was morally required for the NT saint.

Two comments here.

If the tithe is part of the moral law, then logically it would be inscribed on the conscience of all men, correct? Is it?

Second comment, tithing was practiced(as Pink points out) prior to the giving of the ceremonial Law. Was it a moral imperative? I don't think it was practiced that way. It seems to me to have been more along the lines of a voluntary thanksgiving gift until the ceremonial law.

Yes, the two most recent. Many assertions that didn't get to the heart of my questions--need Bible teaching--not "this works for my finances therefore it is required to do" answers.

I'll check older ones.

-----Added 6/4/2009 at 11:18:32 EST-----

Two comments here.

If the tithe is part of the moral law, then logically it would be inscribed on the conscience of all men, correct? Is it?

Second comment, tithing was practiced(as Pink points out) prior to the giving of the ceremonial Law. Was it a moral imperative? I don't think it was practiced that way. It seems to me to have been more along the lines of a voluntary thanksgiving gift until the ceremonial law.

Agree. I do not see how the tithe can be a part of the moral law. I know Pink is no slouch so I thought I'd ask.

I'd like to know who else believes it is part of the moral law.

If you believe it still applies in the New Covenant as a commandment of God, then you may likely believe it is stealing from God not to tithe.

As a person who tithes I believe it is not so simple as that anyway, as in a properly ordered church, poor people would get some of their tithe back in the form of HEW because the church would be largely responsible for HEW (health, education and welfare).

Some people who tithe feel justified in deducting the amount of money they believe they contribute in tax to the state for such functions and I can understand why.

The balance between the responsibilities, priviledges and powers of church and state is not properly organised in our societies. Others are maybe put off the idea of tithing because of this, and I can understand why, though I believe it just makes the church's situation worse.

The secular state has left the church a shadow of her former self. The church hasn't helped herself of course.

Quote from Skyler

This isn't definitive. How many evangelical believers keep the Lord's Day for rest and worship? Some of God's ongoing commandments are both moral and positive/practical E.g. The Apostle's command to appoint a plurality of elders in each congregation.

There is debate concerning whether the tithe under Moses was more than the single tithe or not. See e.g.

http://www.messiahnyc.org/ArticlesDetail.asp?id=328

I do not subscribe to Pastor Steve Schlissel's theonomy, Federal Vision or reworking of the RPW.

Last edited:

WLC:

Q. 93. What is the moral law?

A. The moral law is the declaration of the will of God to mankind, directing and binding every one to personal, perfect, and perpetual conformity and obedience thereunto, in the frame and disposition of the whole man, soul and body,[399] and in performance of all those duties of holiness and righteousness which he oweth to God and man:[400] promising life upon the fulfilling, and threatening death upon the breach of it.

Q. 127. What is the honour that inferiors owe to their superiors?

A. The honour which inferiors owe to their superiors is, all due reverence in heart,[658] word, [659] and behaviour;[660] prayer and thanksgiving for them;[661] imitation of their virtues and graces;[662] willing obedience to their lawful commands and counsels;[663] due submission to their corrections;[664] fidelity to,[665] defence,[666] and maintenance of their persons and authority, according to their several ranks, and the nature of their places;[667] bearing with their infirmities, and covering them in love,[668] that so they may be an honour to them and to their government.

The moral law includes duties which we owe to man. The duties we owe to the men who shepherd us is the maintenance of their persons. Therefore, we are under a moral obligation to maintain our pastors. In the OT, including Abraham and Jacob, this maintenance was done by way of tithing.

In 1 Cor 9, Paul teaches that it remains a moral obligation to maintain gospel ministers yet does not introduce some other method for doing so. At the very least, one must admit that tithing is very good way to uphold one's moral obligation to maintain his pastor.

In I Corinthians 16:2 the Apostle tells us "to - on the First Day of the week - lay up by in store, as God has prospered us" for Christ's cause and kingdom.

Unless we take into account the lessons that we can glean from the OT and Hebrews 7, we are left with no clue as to what proportion of what God has prospered us with we should reasonably give in ordinary, normal, regular, weekly giving.

1%, 99%, 20%, 50%, 75% ?

But our father in the faith Abraham has shown us the way. When Melchisedec (a type of Christ) brought forth bread and wine (pointing to the Lord's Supper), Abraham paid him tithes. All believers who are communicant members cannot do less for the antitype of Melchisedec, who is greater than Melchisedec. Can we who are in a covenantal line from the great Abraham do less than him? The writer to the Hebrews, under divine inspiration, took time to retell this story to New Covenant believers.

It is debateable whether extra tithes were added at the time of Moses. Even if they were we can learn from them without being obligated to them as we are to the simple tithe, as they may have been peculiar to the law. In a similar manner we are not necessarily obligated to execute adulterers and Sabbath- breakers, but murderers should be. Also, many extra Sabbaths were added at the time of Moses, which we are not bound by, but we are bound by the Christian sabbath/Lord's Day.

We can still learn moral and practical lessons from the Jewish Holy Days, criminal and penal law, and any extra tithes (if there were any) while not being bound by the specific laws themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back