Is the rock beat / rock music sinful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RemovedbyRequest

Hi, I've heard that the beat used in rock music (called the rock beat or offbeat) was used by pagans in their demon worship. Since then I've felt uncomfortable listening to anything (rock or not) that has this beat.

I feel like this idea is not biblical though because (1) "everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving" (1 Tim 4:4). Based on this I would say there's nothing inherently sinful about any particular melody or beat or whatever. And (2) if pagans used that beat, how do we know if they didn't use other popular beats or melodies? How can we ever be sure that we aren't doing something that "the pagans did"?

What are your thoughts on the subject? Is the rock beat "learning the way of the heathen"?

Yesterday I read that the tabernacle and the ark had designs that had Egyptian origins/style. But does it matter? No, of course, for everything is the LORD’s. If the rule is that pagan use of xx and yy means we no longer can use it, it follows that pagans can somehow restrict the use of things in the world for God’s children, by using it!

Read Gen 4. Pagans are often the ones who make technological breakthrough. But they use it to their folly (Gen 11).

And I don’t think Israel were careful to avoid rock beats.

Not at all. I listen to heavy metal when lifting weights. Musical styles are good for promoting different moods. It makes me more aggressive, but that's not the same thing as evil.

The reason I stopped listening to a lot of the music I used to was not because of the style of music itself, it's mainly the lyrics for me.

That's where the devil does his work. The attractiveness of the music is just a magnet for the real trap.

I never understood the reasoning behind certain beats are sinful.
I think the argument is more along the lines of "pagans used this beat to summon demons" or something like that. Like they say that inherently it's a demon-attracting beat.

I am more concerned about the content of the song rather than the beat. My objection to "rock music" and "pop music" is when it is brought into the Church. I believe for personal usage though any music that doesn't promote filth, vulgarity, or sin is fine. I listen to some rock, metal, rap songs but I always make sure the content is clean. For example, I find that Iron Maiden has some great music speaking on legends and history, but I wouldn't blare their song number of the beast. It is all about the content and less about the beat.

Yeah, I don't buy the whole "rock beat inspired by demons" thing. Many of the lyrics, however, are straight from the devil. However, this is true of all musical styles. There is some classical music that I believe has demonic influence to it.

The main issue (besides the lyrics, which I have seldom found edifying) I have with rock music and most forms of popular music has nothing to do with the beat per se, but much more to do with aesthetics. Philippians 4 tells us to meditate on whatever is pure, etc. This implies that some things are pure and lovely (it is not all just in the ear of the behearer). It is false that music is completely indifferent and depends entirely on taste. There is good music and bad music. Good music is characterized by arch-shaped phrases that "tell a story" by means of rising tension, climax, and resolution. In this it follows the pathway of all good stories, including the narrative arc of all in the Bible.

The other point from Philippians 4 is that the word "meditate" implies that the subject matter is worthy of extended thought. Most popular music is highly accessible. All the "good stuff" is immediately available to the listener, but seldom is such a song capable of repeated listening. It doesn't have layers of meaning. Building on Ken Myers's insights in All God's Children and Blue Suede Shoes, there are three main categories of all forms of art: popular, folk, and high. His point is that our meditations should focus on the folk and the high, because only those two forms are capable of extended meditation.

The rock beat and syncopation mimics pagan african beats and rock and roll originated from black music and we know that the sons of Ham are eternally cursed and inherently more sensual and less rational and therefore rock and roll will always lead to a degradation of society such that we will become like Africa if it spreads. Godly music accents the 1 and 3 and not the back-beats because back beats are from the devil (I don't know music theory so I have no idea what this even means). So military marches are ok, but stay away from black music popularized by Elvis the Pelvis Presley and his ilk because we already see the degeneracy in America now that black music has become mainstream.

---That is the explanation that an Ozarks Fundy pastor gave me when I was 16. I pointed out that I never heard a black heavy metal band, so I asked if Megadeth and Black Sabbath were ok, and he just threw up his hands in despair and I avoided church 2 more years....but then sort of secretly wondered about his points when rap videos became the norm on tv. But I do know that Pink Floyd gets a free pass because Dark Side of the Moon is basically Ecclesiastes set to music. And of course, Megadeth is more biblical than Hillsong and Metallica's Creeping Death made me read about the Exodus and Black Sabbath's War Pigs made me research the Last Judgment at 16. ...so... that is all the "wisdom" I can muster on this topic [somebody should probably just take me out back and shoot me now].

p.s. in the jungle where I served one tribe uses guitars and drums in church but would NEVER EVER dare play a flute in church or anywhere because bamboo flutes were used to summon demons in their tribe. That evil flute beat is purely pagan, I suppose.

Last edited:
I never understood the reasoning behind certain beats are sinful
I like to think of music this way.
Is there anything sinful about the human face? No. But can you extend this to facial expressions? No.
Because facial expressions are an extension of the person's heart. Are they not?

The Bible has a lot to say about a haughty or proud look, a whores forehead, etc.

Think about it.

The rock beat and syncopation mimics pagan african beats and rock and roll originated from black music and we know that the sons of Ham are eternally cursed and inherently more sensual and less rational and therefore rock and roll will always lead to a degradation of society such that we will become like Africa if it spreads. Godly music accents the 1 and 3 and not the back-beats because back beats are from the devil (I don't know music theory so I have no idea what this even means). So military marches are ok, but stay away from black music popularized by Elvis the Pelvis Presley and his ilk because we already see the degeneracy in America now that black music has become mainstream.

---That is the explanation that an Ozarks Fundy pastor gave me when I was 16. I pointed out that I never heard a black heavy metal band, so I asked if Megadeth and Black Sabbath were ok, and he just threw up his hands in despair and I avoided church 2 more years....but then sort of secretly wondered about his points when rap videos became the norm on tv. But I do know that Pink Floyd gets a free pass because Dark Side of the Moon is basically Ecclesiastes set to music. And of course, Megadeth is more biblical than Hillsong and Metallica's Creeping Death made me read about the Exodus and Black Sabbath's War Pigs made me research the Last Judgment at 16. ...so... that is all the "wisdom" I can muster on this topic [somebody should probably just take me out back and shoot me now].

p.s. in the jungle where I served one tribe uses guitars and drums in church but would NEVER EVER dare play a flute in church or anywhere because bamboo flutes were used to summon demons in their tribe. That evil flute beat is purely pagan, I suppose.
Dave Mustaine is a Christian too

I like to think of music this way.
Is there anything sinful about the human face? No. But can you extend this to facial expressions? No.
Because facial expressions are an extension of the person's heart. Are they not?

The Bible has a lot to say about a haughty or proud look, a whores forehead, etc.

Think about it.
What does a whore's forehead look like? Afraid to google that one.

---That is the explanation that an Ozarks Fundy pastor gave me when I was 16.
Man, did you have me worried for a minute...

I heard that explanation almost word for word from a fundy pastor a few years ago.
As far as classical music being demonic, a fair amount of classical music is Roman Catholic masses set to music, or music with pagan themes. But when it's in Latin or German most of us don't understand it. Even knowing Latin I have trouble understanding it because the reverberation in the track is usually sufficient not to be able to make out most of the words. Of course, if it's a particularly clear recording, or if the lyrics are written out, the meaning is very clear.

I heard that explanation almost word for word from a fundy pastor a few years ago.
As far as classical music being demonic, a fair amount of classical music is Roman Catholic masses set to music, or music with pagan themes. But when it's in Latin or German most of us don't understand it. Even knowing Latin I have trouble understanding it because the reverberation in the track is usually sufficient not to be able to make out most of the words. Of course, if it's a particularly clear recording, or if the lyrics are written out, the meaning is very clear.
You should Google O Fortuna misheard lyrics...

On a serious note. In high school I got introduced to metal and left pop behind. I never looked back due to Pop's increasingly explicitly sexual lyrics. They are even worse now and I have no idea how gangster rap is so popular. Beat and lack of singing is one thing, but the lyrics should make people cringe. Before anyone says the pot is calling the kettle black: Now rap isn't sinful per se obviously but, so much that I have run across that I hear kids listening to is filth.

Latin is always used to summon demons in movies...so Latin music must be evil (at least if you mispronounce it).

You should Google O Fortuna misheard lyrics...

On a serious note. In high school I got introduced to metal and left pop behind. I never looked back due to Pop's increasingly explicitly sexual lyrics. They are even worse now and I have no idea how gangster rap is so popular. Beat and lack of singing is one thing, but the lyrics should make people cringe. Before anyone says the pot is calling the kettle black: Now rap isn't sinful per se obviously but, so much that I have run across that I hear kids listening to is filth.
In college I would play this opening to the song really loud at lunch when eating tuna sandwiches for dramatic effect.....OH, FOR TUNA!!!!! MY college room-mate at least thought it was funny...for the first 50 times at least.

. . . if I scream at the top of my lungs in a most disgusting manner “good morning I love you, have a blessed Lord’s day” at the same time banging on a garbage can lid. Does it have the same meaning as speaking softly with say a soft playing violin?

. . . if I scream at the top of my lungs in a most disgusting manner “good morning I love you, have a blessed Lord’s day” at the same time banging on a garbage can lid. Does it have the same meaning as speaking softly with say a soft playing violin?
more-cowbell-cowbell.gif
As long as there is adequate cowbell.

What does a whore's forehead look like? Afraid to google that one.

Hay, Perg,

I think the meaning of this figure of speech is included and obvious in the context of the verse.

Jeremiah 3:2‭-‬3 ESV
Lift up your eyes to the bare heights, and see! Where have you not been ravished?

By the waysides you have sat awaiting lovers like an Arab in the wilderness. You have polluted the land with your vile whoredom.

Therefore the showers have been withheld, and the spring rain has not come; yet you have the forehead of a whore; you refuse to be ashamed.

Matthew Poole:
Thou hadst a whore’s forehead: for all this, thou didst still remain impudont and obstinate, as ashamed of nothing, chap. 6:15; thus proverbially expressed, because shame doth first and mostly appear in the forehead. Thus antichrist’s impudence is expressed, Rev. 17:5. And some ancient heretics were called effrontes.

Proverbs 7:8‭-‬21
Passing through the street near her corner; And he went the way to her house, In the twilight, in the evening, In the black and dark night: And, behold, there met him a woman With the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart. (She is loud and stubborn; Her feet abide not in her house: Now is she without, now in the streets, And lieth in wait at every corner.) So she caught him, and kissed him, And with an impudent face said unto him, I have peace offerings with me; This day have I payed my vows. Therefore came I forth to meet thee, Diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee. I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, With carved works, with fine linen of Egypt. I have perfumed my bed With myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon. Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: Let us solace ourselves with loves. For the goodman is not at home, He is gone a long journey: He hath taken a bag of money with him, And will come home at the day appointed. With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, With the flattering of her lips she forced him.

Not at all. I listen to heavy metal when lifting weights. Musical styles are good for promoting different moods. It makes me more aggressive, but that's not the same thing as evil.
This might be as simple as using a synonym to help me understand what you meant better, but could you help me understand why being more aggressive is something either morally neutral or good, since I assume you don't view it as morally bad? Or to put it another way, what principles do you apply to reason that because you are lifting weights, a more aggressive mood should be promoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back