Is the FREE John Calvin commentary on biblehub.com legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity Apologetics

Puritan Board Freshman
So recently I found a bunch of free Bible commentaries on Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages... including one by Matthew Poole and John Calvin. I even found "Wesley's Notes." Do you guys know if these are legitimately by those men? And I'm liking Matthew Poole a lot so far but I know little about him aside from him being a Puritan. Is he recommended? Awesome? Does his theology/interpretations have any weaknesses?

Also, it would be really helpful to me if you can point out another free commentary by a Calvinist theologian. Thanks brothers!

Grace,
Ethan

Matthew Poole, John Calvin, John Gill, Matthew Henry have all had their commentaries in public domain and on-line in different formats for years. I haven't looked at the Bible Hub versions, but I'd think they are genuine.

For one thing, it's easier to take the genuine public domain text files and put them in whatever format you'd like than to come up with forgeries. In these days of instant information, errors and suspect sources get exposed very quickly.

Just note that the free Calvin Commentaris are older translations. I like using them, but they are not the same translation as some of the newer editions.

Poole is very good, as are Henry, Calvin, Gill. If they have Ryle's Expository Thoughts on the Gospels, you'll find it profitable as well.

If you like using the older commentaries, there are several VERY good Bible software packages for free on the internet that offer these types of commentaries for free as well.

E-sword and theWord are two of the best free packages.

e-Sword | Home
Bible Software theWord!

There are a good number of smartphone apps that have these kinds of public domain resources freely available as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back