Is it foolish to not be ambitious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contentment doesn't mean feeling content in your surroundings whether poor or rich. Even seeking contentment in God's peace and joy is wrong. Contentment means being content in God alone. His joy and peace etc are extra gifts that he sometimes gives to us and sometimes does not. When he does give them to us we relish in his provision and give him praise. When he doesn't give them to us we run to his feet as a child requesting more of him and give him praise and glory. In the end, we find we are only content when our contentment is in him. Are you content because you have no worries and you're comfortable in your situation? Would you be as content if all your needs weren't met? Don't measure your contentment by your feelings or surroundings, instead, measure it by your contentment in God. Then think about God's commands to all of us. One is to work hard to provide for our families and his people. Be content to please and glorify God by following his commands for us whether they be earthly duties or heavenly duties. Being content in how you feel or your circumstances is a faulty foundation that can crumble tomorrow.

Thank you for the resources. I am doing what I can. I can assure you of that. I don't actually wish to seek a wife currently in my life but I will take what you have stated under consideration. Thanks again.
You’re welcome. I hope they are of some help.

Sorry I couldn’t be more of a help with the contentment aspect.

While I fully agree with Ed's points, I do want to approach from a slightly different angle: not everyone lives a life setting lofty goals for themselves and their careers. If, however, you take pride in your work, focus on your craft, and set your hand to do it for God's glory, advancement will often take care of itself. People will notice And you'll avoid many of the traps into which the ambitious can fall.

Took my words and posted them!

I agree with Ed regarding zeal to work and I've often had Eccl. 9:10 printed out above my desk during times of my own slackery.

But I suspect I would have not fared well with Ed's question--At various stages of my life the answer might have changed, but I had a hard time articulating a life goal. Still do, by the way. But as a young guy I probably would have said something like, "I seek to learn as much as I can, be as productive as I can, and pay the employer more than he pays me--and I want to be paid well."

I bring up here the importance of productive activity. Not necessarily to get rich, but to do right. Besides, it feels good to be purposeful and pleasantly tired at the end of the day.

I'm self-employed too; I have been most of my life. I'm a great employee as long as my boss lets me do what I want to do. Keeping something you've built up forces you to balance present and future, yet barely gives you time to dwell on either too much. It leads one naturally to number one's days.

Scripture provides a lot of guidance in this area.

The fundamental ambition should be to be pleasing to God (2 Corinthians 5:9).
That means that there should be growth in grace and in knowledge (2 Peter 3:18) -- in other words, you should always be learning from the Bible and taking the next step in being a disciple.
You should work so that you can cover your own costs and also have something to give those in need (Eph. 4:28). Ideally, you can work in something that's intrinsically productive and beneficial, but that's not always possible in this world. But with the fruits of your labor you can do something productive.

If you're growing in grace, learning new information and mastering new skills, and exercising diligence at work, I think that's more important than having a specific plan. Additional responsibility and opportunity will come along, in the usual way of things, for those who are reliable and get better at their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back