Is EXCLUSIVE psalm singing Biblical????

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Tim. No I don't sing uninspired hymns because I believe they are commanded in and of themselves (keeping Ephesians 5:19 in mind), I sing them because I want to. I think that God doesn't care as long as we are singing songs that are Word driven. If He did He would have told us plainly or dropped us at least a few to actually draw a legitimate inference. I think psalms are absolutely wonderful. But so are a whole host of hymns written throughout history. Your absolutely right that God never commanded us to sing uninspired hymns. But as I said before where is the Biblical support for us to sing only psalms? I think a lot of the answers I've received here have dodged and avoided the original question.

@ Pastor Paul. Is history more important than what the Bible actually says? This topic isn't rocket science. Either God told us to do one thing over another or He didn't. You say it doesn't matter whether or not if God commanded exclusive psalm singing. But I think that's hypocritical because several other post keep bringing this whole issue back to the regulative principle of worship. Therefore if this is a RPW issue then there should be at least one scripture that tells me that I should sing only psalms. Not what so and so said in history. Although history is good, it is not perfect. Please don't be offended but I think many of you guys are making scripture subordinate to history and books, rather than the other way around.

If Chris will pardon this late addition, I didn't see the following two verses referenced to illuminate Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16 (though perhaps in what Josh linked?) --

Nehemiah 12:46
For in the days of David and Asaph, in ancient times, there were leaders of the singers, songs of praise and hymns of thanksgiving to God.

II Chronicles 29:30
Moreover, King Hezekiah and the officials ordered the Levites to sing praises to the LORD with the words of David and Asaph the seer. So they sang praises with joy, and bowed down and worshiped.

(the psalms of David and Asaph together comprising the large majority of the collection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back