Is Apollyon = Apollo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I am not asking or implying that Apollo has real hypostatic existence in the mythological sense. But is the general word/idea the same as Apollyon? I saw a reference from Grotius that said so, but I haven't scoured the commentaries.

I've seen that. Thanks. I think the concept is rather fluid, as Apollo, like Enki, Reseph, and other Semitic demons, spread pestilence and healing with his arrows. And tying in Apollyon's location with the Abyss, we see a parallel with Enki who was Lord of the Abyss (abzu).

GB Caird, in his commentary on the Apocalypse, notes that it could be an equivalent, since Aeschylus in Agemmenon (line 1080-1082) makes the connection between Apollo and appoluein, my destroyer. (Caird 120)

I saw that part, too. The origins seem all too obscure for me, but I have no problem with people making connections after the fact--that is, I agree that what Apollo represents is fluid, and he may have come to be a sort of destroyer, but he probably got his mythological start as a relatively low-level party god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back