Introductory musing

Status
Not open for further replies.

August

Puritan Board Freshman
Good day,

God guides one on paths you never think you will travel. I was perfectly happy as a Christian that regularly read his Bible, went to church, and prayed, within a pretty protected Christian community in my birth country, South Africa, and a pretty decent reformed church movement.

Next thing I knew, I found myself living in a godless culture in Scandinavia, and the little comfort bubble was popped. The amount of pure animosity towards religion, but especially Christianity, is explained away by their "advanced" culture, having no need for God.

However, as can be expected, two years in "advanced" culture had God show to me the true meaning of having to defend our faith, and so I started studying evidential apologetics, reading, debating and arguing with whomever wanted to. How pleasant it was to achieve my life dream and move to the USA 3 years ago, and find a Christian community, in my mind the last true bastion of Christianity in the world.

While I now know that Vincent Cheung has some gaping holes in his logic (thanks Paul Manata!), he was the first one that woke me up to presuppositional apologetics, and steered me away from purely evidential approaches. Those evolutionist atheists don't want to listen to contrary evidence or attempt to explain difficulties anyway.

One minor frustrating issue for me is that as soon as I think I have things covered, up pops another argument or explanation that makes me realize how much there still is to learn about our wonderful Father.

So here I am, an amateur apologist, aspiring minister, father, husband and generally curious. Please be gentle.

Peter

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome,
Ha! Funny as an American I always thought South Africa was the last bastion of Christianity! or at least until the black communists (ANC) took over.

August

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you for the kind words of welcome. It is much appreciated.

Welcome,
Ha! Funny as an American I always thought South Africa was the last bastion of Christianity! or at least until the black communists (ANC) took over.
There is quite a battle over there between what is now called the "ancient" Christians, and those that espouse liberation theology. There are still some strong reformed churches, but they are struggling. Their numbers are dwindling, and they are still lumped as part of the Afrikaner establishment deemed guilty of apartheid.

Velkomen!!!

Im assuming you were in Sweden ;)

Blade
Hi Blade. I was actually in Finland, but also travelled to Sweden a few times.

Peter

Puritan Board Junior
We actually had an American man on the board who lived in Orania for a while. We need a homeland for Calvinistic Americans!

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
For an apologist from South Africa...ever read H.G. Stoker? He taught at Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education and was co-editor of Philosophia Reformata along with Cornelius Van Til, Vollenhoven, and Dooyeweerd. The majority of his writings are in Afrikaans with only a smattering in English. Van Til called him one of the most erudite philosophers alive (at the time). I'm really considering taking time to study Afrikaans so I could read him. He did contribute to Van Til's Festschrift, Jerusalem and Athens.

1. So if you've read him, what are your thoughts?
2. If not, go read him and tell me your thoughts :D
3. Or better yet, translate him for the rest of us mono-linguists.

Oh yeah,:welcome::handshake:

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
finland my sister has been there. Ive been to norway and denmark. I love those countries its where my family is from but the area stinks of islam and liberal theology if any theology at all.

Blade

August

Puritan Board Freshman
For an apologist from South Africa...ever read H.G. Stoker? He taught at Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education and was co-editor of Philosophia Reformata along with Cornelius Van Til, Vollenhoven, and Dooyeweerd. The majority of his writings are in Afrikaans with only a smattering in English. Van Til called him one of the most erudite philosophers alive (at the time). I'm really considering taking time to study Afrikaans so I could read him. He did contribute to Van Til's Festschrift, Jerusalem and Athens.

I have not read any of his writings. I saw some references to him, in Dutch, but was not aware that he was actually South African.

If you can point me in the right direction, I will be glad to read, opine on and translate his writings. I will also continue to research this and see where I can get hold of his works. Any help though, will be appreciated. From the little research that I have done, I saw that he was deemed a supporter of apartheid, and I therefore fear that his works may have been discarded from the university libraries in South Africa.

Thanks for the suggestion, and like I said earlier, so much that I am blissfully unaware of. :candle:

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Originally posted by August

I have not read any of his writings. I saw some references to him, in Dutch, but was not aware that he was actually South African.

If you can point me in the right direction, I will be glad to read, opine on and translate his writings. I will also continue to research this and see where I can get hold of his works. Any help though, will be appreciated. From the little research that I have done, I saw that he was deemed a supporter of apartheid, and I therefore fear that his works may have been discarded from the university libraries in South Africa.

Thanks for the suggestion, and like I said earlier, so much that I am blissfully unaware of. :candle:
His works are almost impossible to pick up. I managed to find his 2 volumes: Oorsprong and Rigting published in 1970 used from South Africa for an arm and a leg. It's a collection of his shorter writings with a few articles in English. Other than that there are 2 more books available on abebooks but are more than 75 bucks a piece so I've passed on them. Westminster Theological Seminary in PA has the majority of his writings and they have been more than gracious to work with me on interlibrary loans.

August

Puritan Board Freshman
Chris,

I have done a bit more digging. I actually know one of the people on the faculty at the Potchefstroom University, and I will try to get in touch with him to see if there is a way in which he can help. I have also e-mailed Dr Francis Lee to see if he can point me in the right direction.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Originally posted by August
Chris,

I have done a bit more digging. I actually know one of the people on the faculty at the Potchefstroom University, and I will try to get in touch with him to see if there is a way in which he can help. I have also e-mailed Dr Francis Lee to see if he can point me in the right direction.
I should have thought of Dr. Lee...:banghead: Thank you for digging...I don't mean to snag all of your board time so early on!

August

Puritan Board Freshman
Not at all. It seems to be a good goal to pursue, and it would be a tragedy to let his writings go unpreserved for the future.

Plus I came here to learn, and already you have opened up a new chapter for me. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.