Introductory Book for Non-Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnc

Puritan Board Freshman
What are some good introductory books on Christianity for a non-Christian (or possibly nominal Christian) interested in Christianity. I'm looking for books that aren't too technical or too long but from a reformed perspective. My wife's sister, who is at most nominally a Christian, has asked for some books to read on Christianity.

Thanks,
John

Would she be open to reading through a book of Scripture and discussing it with you? Otherwise, Mere Christianity pops to mind.

Could you be more specific as to what areas/aspects of Christianity your sister-in-law desires to explore? I'd second the suggestion of reading through one of the Gospels with her.

Could you be more specific as to what areas/aspects of Christianity your sister-in-law desires to explore? I'd second the suggestion of reading through one of the Gospels with her.

I guess she is interested in just the basics of Christianity. Although she has been exposed to the basics of Christianity when she was growing up, I doubt she has ever had much exposure to a reformed understanding of Christianity. Reading through anything together is difficult because she lives several thousand miles from us and does not have a telephone. Skype is sometimes possible, but is not always convenient.

I agree that nothing beats scripture, but she has asked for some additional books.

Have her read/study the Westminster Standards. Have her email you her questions or you email her questions about what she's reading.

I give out copies of Tim Keller's The Prodigal God. I highly recommend doing so. It's been well received by several people. I think it's crucial that people encounter Christianity primarily as an invitation, not an argument. You don't want to put someone in a defensive stance that shuts down their receptivity. The exception to this rule is someone who has a very specific set of reasons for not believing in Christianity. One responds to that person by taking his or her concerns seriously. But any time the tone of a conversation becomes, "And if I win this argument, you'll become a Christian, right?" something has gone terribly wrong.

I have also had some good conversations from John Piper's Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back