Introducing Psalm-singing into family worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSon

Puritan Board Junior
I must first confess that I am totally unfamiliar with the singing of Psalms in worship. I have heard them sung on recordings, but have never been in a worship service that has sang them nor have I used them in family worship.

I would like to begin incorporating the singing of Psalms into our nightly family worship. I have the TBS Windsor-edition KJV with Metrical Psalms that I plan to use. Are there any resources (on-line or otherwise) that would provide the meter to help facilitate the singing, particularly the metered Psalms which are in the KJV edition I have? Any further help or suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Pardon me if these questions seem elementary. It is just a further attempt to reform my worship with the family.

I sometimes use the CRC palter hymnal and am looking forward to the OP version, but do not hold your breath for the OP because that project is still years left to completion.

Bravo! An admirable goal sir.
You probably know lots of Common Meter songs. Check out your church hymnal and you will find a bunch. What remains is for you to fit the psalm to the tune. For starters try Psalm 46 to the tune "america the beautiful"
Another alternative if you can read music, Chis Coldwell has published a psalter with the music and tunes together.

I hope you don't give up. You won't regret the effort. especially if you stick with the 1650. It is the best!!

The tune to 'Amazing Grace' is also in common meter and can be sung to almost all of the Scottish Psalter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back