Intimacy with God

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Genesis 1.26​

God created men and women in His image. When He created us, he placed within us a desire to feel loved and to know that we have a place where we belong. This is how God made us, He had fellowship in mind during the creation of mankind. It is God’s desire to have fellowship with men and women, to have our service and worship and to bless those who are His. Due to our sinfulness, we cannot enjoy full fellowship with God, and we resist God’s loving care. So, why do we resist God? Our stubbornness and pride are an obstacle to God. This pride blinds us to the fulness of God’s benefits. It causes us to believe that we can enjoy life to the full without God. We believe the lie that an intimate relationship with God will be more of a hindrance than a blessing. Instead of having a blessed direct relationship with God we have a distant relationship.

To have an intimate relationship with God we must recognise that a meaningful relationship with God is motivated by His love. Therefore, we must devote ourselves to God to enjoy the fullness of Him. So, what are the benefits of a relationship with God?

Stability – God is our anchor in the storms of life. He is there for us during hardships and times of great joy. In Hebrews 13:5 God has promised to never leave nor forsake those who place their trust in Him.

Saved – Those who place their trust in the finished work of Jesus Christ are forgiven of all their sins. In Ephesians 2:8 God has promised to save all those who believe the Gospel. The life of a Christian is one of faith, repentance, and worship to God.

Sensitivity – As we grow in grace, we increase our understanding of the needs of others. This causes us to be a better Christian and honour God by serving others. In 1 Peter 4:10 the Bible says, “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”

Strength – It is said that what does not kill you makes you stronger. During our Christian walk, there will be times of great testing and temptation. These times are sent to strengthen our faith and confidence in God. In 2 Timothy 4:17-18 the Bible says, “But the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me, in order that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was delivered out of the lion’s mouth. The Lord will deliver me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.”

The Russian Novelist Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is credited to have once said that “We always pay dearly for chasing after what is cheap.” This quote is worth bearing in mind when we are considering our relationships. If we chase after that which is worthless, we will pay a high price. However, if we invest our time in a meaningful relationship with God and others then we shall reap the benefits of a good and righteous relationship.

‘Draw near to me and I will draw near to you’.

‘What son that asks for an egg, will his Father give a serpent? How much more will the Father give the Holy Spirit to the son who asks?’

I’ve been meditating on this for quite a while now. It is my belief that this is key. We must find the field, sell all we have to buy that field, search exhaustively for that pearl of great price. Practically speaking, this takes much religion. That being, lots of prayer, meditation, on God’s word, and plenty of tears seeking more of God’s Spirit; It wasn’t until then that my personal devotions, and all these items mentioned, did this fullness appear. God will give you the desires of your heart. If at the epicenter of these desires are these things I’ve mentioned, God is faithful.

12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. Matt 11:12

To have an intimate relationship with God, we must recognize that a meaningful relationship with God is motivated by His love.
Indeed it was nothing but love that God had for His undeserving people.

Hi Nathan,
I've been thinking of responding to what you said for several days. I started and stopped twice. But I decided to put it this way.

[pardon any typos or words that make no sense as I dictated this to my phone]

For starters, I should say that I don't think there's anything in particular that you said that I couldn't entirely agree with. What you said about "Stability [Salavation], Sensitivity, and Strength" are all things that, with varying degrees, increase as our intimacy with God grows.

I guess the thing that puzzled me just a bit is what was your purpose in writing this study. Is this study meant to limit its teaching to the personal benefits of intimacy with God? And then some additional study or reflections on the other characteristics and experiences of God's fullness and especially being in His presence?

But then there's the statement of your purpose in writing, as quoted below.
To have an intimate relationship with God, we must

Here's the best I can do trying to explain my feelings.

I became a Christian when I was 20, and I am now 71. And during most of that time, I was no nominal Christian. Certainly not outwardly, and I am convinced not inwardly too—an elder in the OPC, constantly a Bible teacher, small group leader, husband, father, etc.

All Christians have an intimate and eternal relationship with God. Ah, but I do not say that all Christians enjoy the intimacy with God they are entitled to.

I think it's certain today that most of those who claim Evangelical Christianity know little or nothing of this intimacy. I myself had to wait over 43 years. (2015) And, of course, there are all levels of intimacy in between.

"semantics" - Don't all agree that when we speak of intimacy or fellowship with God, it is another way of saying fellowship with the Holy Spirit as representative of the Godhead.

Here's a word or two that describes most of the feelings and emotions, and thoughts that I have when God has mercifully granted His beautiful holy face to look at my

You mentioned four benefits we receive through our intimacy with God. But, for me, I have discovered in the Scriptures, among the Puritans, and by a lifetime of experience, that when God lovingly fills us with His
Spirit that it is so much more than a Doctrine. We may wonder if we are true believers at various times in our life. When filled with the Holy Spirit, there is no mistaking Him. You might as well doubt your best memory of making love with your wife ever happened.

Note: there are many things to be aware of in this whole area of fellowship with God. There are dangers, and there's deception, there's pride. But when you worked all that out, and you're on Shore ground that you're involved in the real deal, here's what I've learned to except.

I grow smaller and smaller in my own estimation. The very last thing I would ever think about are the benefits I was getting other than a joy unspeakable and full of glory.

I think so caught up in the Wonder and praise and glory reality of it all that I speak forth streams of praise to God with words I wouldn't even come up with myself. In the very best of those times, I can only give you an outline of what I said and what I sang to that Glorious Triune God that loves me.

God blessed me with wonderful experiences multiple times a week, sometimes days in a row, but never absent very long from 2015 to 2021.

During that time, I very quickly gained full Assurance of faith. But I want you to know it was only and always from the Scriptures that I took truth and believed and rested in. As wonderful as my experiences were, it was the Holy Scriptures committed to my memory through long ues that made the material for all of my praise to God and all of the hope for myself.

Then, in 2021 His regular visits almost stopped. Since then, my life has pretty much turned upside down. But that's another story of fellowship with God in suffering.

PostScript.
I have noticed over many years that in our modern day, at least among the reformed people I've come in contact with, there doesn't seem to be the interest there used to be in things of a more spiritual and invisible nature in our life with God. I've written a few things about it if you want to bother looking any of it up. But if you're like most people, you won't be interested.

Indeed it was nothing but love that God had for His undeserving people.

Hi Nathan,
I've been thinking of responding to what you said for several days. I started and stopped twice. But I decided to put it this way.

[pardon any typos or words that make no sense as I dictated this to my phone]

For starters, I should say that I don't think there's anything in particular that you said that I couldn't entirely agree with. What you said about "Stability [Salavation], Sensitivity, and Strength" are all things that, with varying degrees, increase as our intimacy with God grows.

I guess the thing that puzzled me just a bit is what was your purpose in writing this study. Is this study meant to limit its teaching to the personal benefits of intimacy with God? And then some additional study or reflections on the other characteristics and experiences of God's fullness and especially being in His presence?

But then there's the statement of your purpose in writing, as quoted below.

Here's the best I can do trying to explain my feelings.

I became a Christian when I was 20, and I am now 71. And during most of that time, I was no nominal Christian. Certainly not outwardly, and I am convinced not inwardly too—an elder in the OPC, constantly a Bible teacher, small group leader, husband, father, etc.

All Christians have an intimate and eternal relationship with God. Ah, but I do not say that all Christians enjoy the intimacy with God they are entitled to.

I think it's certain today that most of those who claim Evangelical Christianity know little or nothing of this intimacy. I myself had to wait over 43 years. (2015) And, of course, there are all levels of intimacy in between.

"semantics" - Don't all agree that when we speak of intimacy or fellowship with God, it is another way of saying fellowship with the Holy Spirit as representative of the Godhead.

Here's a word or two that describes most of the feelings and emotions, and thoughts that I have when God has mercifully granted His beautiful holy face to look at my

You mentioned four benefits we receive through our intimacy with God. But, for me, I have discovered in the Scriptures, among the Puritans, and by a lifetime of experience, that when God lovingly fills us with His
Spirit that it is so much more than a Doctrine. We may wonder if we are true believers at various times in our life. When filled with the Holy Spirit, there is no mistaking Him. You might as well doubt your best memory of making love with your wife ever happened.

Note: there are many things to be aware of in this whole area of fellowship with God. There are dangers, and there's deception, there's pride. But when you worked all that out, and you're on Shore ground that you're involved in the real deal, here's what I've learned to except.

I grow smaller and smaller in my own estimation. The very last thing I would ever think about are the benefits I was getting other than a joy unspeakable and full of glory.

I think so caught up in the Wonder and praise and glory reality of it all that I speak forth streams of praise to God with words I wouldn't even come up with myself. In the very best of those times, I can only give you an outline of what I said and what I sang to that Glorious Triune God that loves me.

God blessed me with wonderful experiences multiple times a week, sometimes days in a row, but never absent very long from 2015 to 2021.

During that time, I very quickly gained full Assurance of faith. But I want you to know it was only and always from the Scriptures that I took truth and believed and rested in. As wonderful as my experiences were, it was the Holy Scriptures committed to my memory through long ues that made the material for all of my praise to God and all of the hope for myself.

Then, in 2021 His regular visits almost stopped. Since then, my life has pretty much turned upside down. But that's another story of fellowship with God in suffering.

PostScript.
I have noticed over many years that in our modern day, at least among the reformed people I've come in contact with, there doesn't seem to be the interest there used to be in things of a more spiritual and invisible nature in our life with God. I've written a few things about it if you want to bother looking any of it up. But if you're like most people, you won't be interested.

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate your time and effort. I will consider carefully what you have said. Many thanks.

Hi Ed,
My experience is much like yours.

“I think it's certain today that most of those who claim Evangelical Christianity know little or nothing of this intimacy.”

Sadly, this has been my thought as well. Trying to convey this experience is almost impossible and most in the Reformed realm will look at u like u have two heads.

“God lovingly fills us with His
Spirit that it is so much more than a Doctrine. We may wonder if we are true believers at various times in our life. When filled with the Holy Spirit, there is no mistaking Him. You might as well doubt your best memory of making love with your wife ever happened.”

Agreed.

“I grow smaller and smaller in my own estimation. The very last thing I would ever think about are the benefits I was getting other than a joy unspeakable and full of glory.”

For me, it reveals the power and love God has for us. It represents the fullness of Christ. It is overwhelming at times and I find myself weeping.

“I think so caught up in the Wonder and praise and glory reality of it all that I speak forth streams of praise to God with words I wouldn't even come up with myself.”

I can so relate to this.

“I have noticed over many years that in our modern day, at least among the reformed people I've come in contact with, there doesn't seem to be the interest there used to be in things of a more spiritual and invisible nature in our life with God.”

Earlier in my walk, probably for the first five years, the above was typical. As I became more reformed and started reading copious amounts, it seemed to wain and flux. It wasn’t until recently, the last couple years that I recalled the difference in my walk that I started praying hard for this again God was faithful in answering my prayer. It is my desire, to share the need for this experience, so as the power of the Holy Spirit fills us with dynamite through the day, and the war.

Luke 11:10–13 (KJV 1900): 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

I think there is yearning within every true believer who has tasted something of the Lord’s goodness to enjoy more intimacy with Him, to some extent or another. Many things hinder us - forgetfulness, distractions and good things in this world, laziness, other sins, and chiefly unbelief, perhaps even a fearfulness of not being able to find the experience we would seek after.
I am reminded that such enjoyment of communion with God points us forward to the rich fullness of what we will enjoy when we are brought out of this world and body of sin and death. This is strong motivation to continue in hope.

Scott has mentioned,
We must find the field, sell all we have to buy that field, search exhaustively for that pearl of great price. Practically speaking, this takes much religion. That being, lots of prayer, meditation, on God’s word, and plenty of tears seeking more of God’s Spirit; It wasn’t until then that my personal devotions, and all these items mentioned, did this fullness appear. God will give you the desires of your heart. If at the epicenter of these desires are these things I’ve mentioned, God is faithful.

Was this akin to the changes you experienced too Ed?

I think there is yearning within every true believer who has tasted something of the Lord’s goodness to enjoy more intimacy with Him, to some extent or another. Many things hinder us - forgetfulness, distractions and good things in this world, laziness, other sins, and chiefly unbelief, perhaps even a fearfulness of not being able to find the experience we would seek after.
I am reminded that such enjoyment of communion with God points us forward to the rich fullness of what we will enjoy when we are brought out of this world and body of sin and death. This is strong motivation to continue in hope.

Scott has mentioned,

Was this akin to the changes you experienced too Ed?

Hi Alex,

I was glad to read Scott's reply and a tidbit of his pilgrimage. But, to answer your question, Scott and I would need to spend at least an hour or two together speaking of nothing else.
To Anyone Interested:
Over the years, I must have written dozens of posts on the PB about one or another aspect of fellowship with God. Here are several queries I tried:
1. A Search for keyword "filling" by Member "Ed Walsh" returned 32 posts from 2017 to 2023.
2. A Search for keyword "fellowship with God" by Member "Ed Walsh" returned 52 posts from 2015 to 2023 (Yesterday).
3. A Search for keyword "Holy Spirit" by Member "Ed Walsh" returned 100 posts from 2015 to 2023 (Today).
_ The same search with "Ghost" instead of "Spirit" returned an additional 34 posts

I will give a short bullet list of where I am now, looking back on those five beautiful years I call my "Glory years."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BREAK: Gotta take a break right now, but I wanted to answer you somehow. But I have never talked about life after those heavenly years ceased.
I will try to write later today or during the next several days.

Ed

Last edited:
Ed is correct. We have volumes of data. How to disseminate that is another thing. Trying to explain spiritual things isn’t easy; much of it is unexplainable. But to some degree, it can be fleshed out.

One things for sure, not to advocate for the charismatic realm and some of the aberrancy, but the reformed could use a good dose of the Holy Spirit in the way we’re describing. And it’s true, and really possible to be filled with flaming fire for God.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back