Interview with Sam Wheatley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Andrew.

Do you know if the various TE and RE named "Brown" that signed the letter are related?

Thanks Andrew.

Do you know if the various TE and RE named "Brown" that signed the letter are related?

I am unsure. I met the TE I believe last year at GA, he was sitting at a table next to me and my friends and we were talking about similar things and joined together. He had his son with him. But I am unsure if he was an RE or not... Very godly fellow.

The difficulty here is on several levels.

An officer, under vows, stating publicly, making his case publicly outside of the spiritual court he has vowed submission to, and appealing to others outside of it as if they were authority, that he intends to violate his vows, constitution and historical polity because he has (personal) "ambition."

Presbyterian Church in America
Book of Church Order

Chapter 21
The Ordination and Installation of Officers

Questions for Ordination

Then, addressing himself to the candidate, he shall propose to him
the following questions:

3. Do you approve of the form of government and discipline of
the Presbyterian Church in America, in conformity with the
general principles of Biblical polity?

4. Do you promise subjection to your brethren in the Lord?

6. Do you promise to be zealous and faithful in maintaining the
truths of the Gospel and the purity and peace and unity of
the Church, whatever persecution or opposition may arise
unto you on that account?

7. Do you engage to be faithful and diligent in the exercise of all
your duties as a Christian and a minister of the Gospel, whether
personal or relational, private or public; and to endeavor by the
grace of God to adorn the profession of the Gospel in your
manner of life, and to walk with exemplary piety before the
flock of which God shall make you overseer?

Ecclesiastes 5:4
When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.

Luke 12:48
But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Proverbs 6These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Mr. Wheatley

And we clearly mean something different about the ordination to elder than to deacon when we say pointedly that the diaconate is not an office of rule, but sympathy and service.

This is a misrepresentation.

Ruling Elders and Deacons in his denomination go through the same training toward ordination, which is recognized as authority springing directly from our Lord. They are often ordained at common ceremonies recognizing that.

Both, by PCA doctrine, are qualified to office by I Timothy 3 and Titus 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back